messed up lower steering stem mount.

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
haulinit

#1 Post by haulinit »

Over the weekend I got into a fight with a tree during a hare scramble (the tree won). I managed to shift the lower steering stem mount over and rip the welds holding it. Is that part of the frame heat treated and is it safe to have a weld shop straighten it and re-weld it?

Not sure how I managed to bend this but I did

NRath

#2 Post by NRath »

The whole frame is heat treated. Doesn't really matter now though, need to fix what you've got. I'd suggest having him add a couple gussets across the back like the newer frames have. Do a little grinding by the crack and fill it in. Use some wet rags all around where it's being welded and cool it down with more wet rags asap to minimize the size of the heat affected zone. It'll be fine- wet rags are your friend!

What about a race story?!!! Where's that hammer down smiley? LOL...

haulinit

#3 Post by haulinit »

QUOTE (NRath @ May 29 2012, 11:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The whole frame is heat treated. Doesn't really matter now though, need to fix what you've got. I'd suggest having him add a couple gussets across the back like the newer frames have. Do a little grinding by the crack and fill it in. Use some wet rags all around where it's being welded and cool it down with more wet rags asap to minimize the size of the heat affected zone. It'll be fine- wet rags are your friend!

What about a race story?!!! Where's that hammer down smiley? LOL...

Rath, not much of a story... I made 1 1/2 laps and then there was that bad a$$ of a tree that wrecked my day wacko.gif . I had the weld shop ad a small gusset to the hoop. I have decided that hare scrambles are not for me I will stick to going in circles or TT tongue.gif.

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

If forcing the frame back make sure to heat up the area as it will surely snap . Heat treated aluminum can be pesky . If the repair is over a $100 Id just get a new frame.

NRath

#5 Post by NRath »

You're going to be missing out on a good time- you've got to give it another shot! Of course, my opinion isn't really worth alot in your world!

Maybe we could get a roundy round or TT report, then!

haulinit

#6 Post by haulinit »

QUOTE (Wistech @ May 30 2012, 10:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If forcing the frame back make sure to heat up the area as it will surely snap . Heat treated aluminum can be pesky . If the repair is over a $100 Id just get a new frame.

Wistech, I ended up going to our local frame guy guru and he got me put back in place and for free (he really supports local racers in all forms). The total repair bill was $30 laugh.gif

QUOTE (NRath @ May 30 2012, 11:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're going to be missing out on a good time- you've got to give it another shot! Of course, my opinion isn't really worth alot in your world!

Maybe we could get a roundy round or TT report, then!

Rath, I thought about giving it a second shot but there is a new series called "short course" coming up in July and I already switched to my +3 LT front end. The courses are going to be a mix of TT and toned down MX, designed for the side by sides but they also run the quads on it. Plus I respect most everybodys opinion!

NRath

#7 Post by NRath »

Awesome- maybe you can get a photographer to tag along with you!