Ball joint ??

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
Yellowrocket440

#1 Post by Yellowrocket440 »

does anyone know the taper degree of the factory cannondale balljoints and of the spindle??

Yellowrocket440

#2 Post by Yellowrocket440 »

mad.gif Nobody knows this?? does anyone know I could find a diagram of the Spindle hole degree and balljoint shaft degree. Im wanting to know this to see if i can use a different degree reamer to make the hole differ from the factory one, if so i have more of a variety to choose from on balljoint. unsure.gif Its another R&D thing im trying to come up with guys!

MRHorsepower

#3 Post by MRHorsepower »

Measure the small diameter and the large diameter. Then you want to measure the thickness of your spindle and trig it out to find your tangent angle. That will tell you your taper

Canniboomer

#4 Post by Canniboomer »

You will probably find that the variety of other balljoints will have an overall narrower shank.... So by the time you ream the spindle to match the taper, the balljoints will seat down too far.
You can re-ream a Honda or Yam spindle for example to fit the Cannondale taper joint, but not the other way around. I use and stock Cannondale to Honda spindle adapters, and Honda tapered aftermarket balljoints -- here's a pic of coverted ASR's to true atv balljoints, instead of those huge 3/4" common heims. Tap-in adapters are used at the spindle.