Fox Float Evol or Moto Ohlins?

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
Freddykreuger80

#1 Post by Freddykreuger80 »

Hey guys I am thinking of getting one of these and I want to hear some opinions of these shocks before I decide to get one. How are they in adjusting? How are they in the trails? How are they for racing and jumps? Has anyone tried both and if so which do you like better? I want shocks that will be good for me on both trails and for when I race and can adjust easily on the go.
Thanks

who_gives_a6

#2 Post by who_gives_a6 »

Haven't ran the Moto Ohlins myself but have had and still have two sets of Fox and love them. Quick adjustments and easy to change the length and stroke for different front ends.

cannondale27

#3 Post by cannondale27 »

This is true but the Ohlins require less maintenance and work well also.

Freddykreuger80

#4 Post by Freddykreuger80 »

QUOTE (cannondale27 @ May 18 2012, 01:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is true but the Ohlins require less maintenance and work well also.

So what do you think would be a better deal. To get Moto Ohlins and spend money and get them Revalved or spend a little extra and get fox float Evols?

Happyboy

#5 Post by Happyboy »

The moto ohlins are great shocks, the trick now would be to find a pair in great shape. I don't know what kinds of trails you would be on but the ones I am used to you really can't take a MX setup quad on easily. You would beat the tar out of it and be banging on the trees.

Freddykreuger80

#6 Post by Freddykreuger80 »

Well don't you think the fox Evols would be better then since you can adjust them very easily and have a wide range of adjustment on the go

Happyboy

#7 Post by Happyboy »

If you take a plus 3 setup and adjust the shocks so you can fit in 48" woods then you are going to be so top heavy you will roll every corner. You have to decide which setup you want as your primary, woods or MX. A woods bike setup a little low and fat will do pretty decent on a MX track. You won't be A class unless you are a star but you can still have fun. But a full MX quad will get trashed in the woods. Unless you are playing on wide open fire trails and such.

My personal setup is a +1 front setup nice and low. I can play in all arenas and do ok. For woods I have 4:1 offset wheels, for TT i was going 3:2 backwards.

Your shocks really shouldn't be getting modified for height, only for ride once they are setup the first time.

Freddykreuger80

#8 Post by Freddykreuger80 »

QUOTE (Happyboy @ May 18 2012, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you take a plus 3 setup and adjust the shocks so you can fit in 48" woods then you are going to be so top heavy you will roll every corner. You have to decide which setup you want as your primary, woods or MX. A woods bike setup a little low and fat will do pretty decent on a MX track. You won't be A class unless you are a star but you can still have fun. But a full MX quad will get trashed in the woods. Unless you are playing on wide open fire trails and such.

My personal setup is a +1 front setup nice and low. I can play in all arenas and do ok. For woods I have 4:1 offset wheels, for TT i was going 3:2 backwards.

Your shocks really shouldn't be getting modified for height, only for ride once they are setup the first time.

Well for right now primarily I will be riding woods and trails and maybe get into racing. I have +3 a arms and my front end length is 50"

speedracer

#9 Post by speedracer »

Like Happyboy said,50 in. is awful wide for the woods.

Freddykreuger80

#10 Post by Freddykreuger80 »

Yeah it is but I don't have any other a arms so there's nothing I can do about that. I just want to get some new shocks that will fit and do great in the woods