Axle Play Problem

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
flat bill ron

#1 Post by flat bill ron »

My Cannibal's axle had play when up on a jackstand. I ordered some new bearings and seals to rebuild the carrier but once I got the carrier off, I saw pivot works bearings... Looks like someone had already replaced them at one time, and they seemed to move OK. After degreasing the axle, I found some pretty nasty grooves in the axle center section and the bearings slide very easily past where they seat. I'm starting to think that the play is actually not in the bearings, but a worn area between the bearing and axle.

How tight are the bearings supposed to be on the axle? Like pressed on tight or just snug? My bearings slide the whole way over the axle with ease. I can literally stand the axle straight up and drop the bearing over the axle and it will slide all they way to the bottom. Does it sound like I need a new axle? Would be a shame because it still has the greenish tint and very little rust.

Thanks

haulinit

#2 Post by haulinit »

When I rebuilt mine I had to give the axle some love with a soft face dead blow hammer to get it to go thru, but mine is a Lonestar bearing carrier which shouldn't have too much to do with it. The axle shouldn't just "drop thru".

flat bill ron

#3 Post by flat bill ron »

QUOTE (haulinit @ Nov 17 2012, 10:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I rebuilt mine I had to give the axle some love with a soft face dead blow hammer to get it to go thru, but mine is a Lonestar bearing carrier which shouldn't have too much to do with it. The axle shouldn't just "drop thru".

Yea, I had to tap the carrier off the axle when it was removed, but I think it was because that center sleeve was corroded to the axle (between the bearings). It honestly looks like who ever owned the quad before me had a big time carrier bearing failure and just threw some bearings in instead of replacing everything. The sprocket hub also looks pretty chewed up...like it was rubbing on something. I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow. I just don't want the axle to spin on the inner race of the bearing and create a bigger fit problem.

flat bill ron

#4 Post by flat bill ron »

Took a quick video of the axle and bearing...please excuse the messy garage lol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQPYZACQ2Pg

Kind of a crappy cell pic...couldn't find my digital camera.

speedracer

#5 Post by speedracer »

That doesnt seem right,I think I have a good used axle,cover shipping and its yours.I will check if I still have it.

flat bill ron

#6 Post by flat bill ron »

QUOTE (speedracer @ Nov 18 2012, 09:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That doesnt seem right,I think I have a good used axle,cover shipping and its yours.I will check if I still have it.

Wow! That would be great speedracer!

speedracer

#7 Post by speedracer »

Cant seem to find the axle anywhere sorry.I do have a new never used Dura-blue chrome axle I would let go cheap.

flat bill ron

#8 Post by flat bill ron »

QUOTE (speedracer @ Nov 19 2012, 08:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cant seem to find the axle anywhere sorry.I do have a new never used Dura-blue chrome axle I would let go cheap.

Sorry for the late response Speedracer. I appreciate the offer but I think I'm just going to see how this axle holds up. Got it in and while there is still some play, it is so slight that you have to really muscle it to feel anything.