Moto shock length??

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
Bvcracingcdale

#1 Post by Bvcracingcdale »

What is stock length on moto shocks?? Want to make sure the elkas that came on mine are correct

who_gives_a6

#2 Post by who_gives_a6 »

18.75" eye to eye with 5.6" of stroke.

Bvcracingcdale

#3 Post by Bvcracingcdale »

Thank you !

MX Quad Dad

#4 Post by MX Quad Dad »

I was thinking that there probably are still some Moto's and for sure other quads out there that are still running the early steering stem. and people adding a Moto front suspension should be aware that there is interfearance between the frame and tie rods. My Moto still has a shortened stroke on the front shocks to account for this and from what Ohlin's told me all the NAC's quads running the Moto a-arms were shortened as well.

Bvcracingcdale

#5 Post by Bvcracingcdale »

Hmmmmm. Any pic of the old stem??

My quad is a moto not converted. So u think its ok?? How can i check

I suppose i could take springs off and run it through the stroke?

wistech

#6 Post by wistech »

The stems that work with moto shocks have the bracket welded to the very bottom of the tube. They also have a small brace welded to the top of that bracket. Earlier stems have the tie rod bracket about a half inch from the bottom of the tube
I've rewelded dozens of the early style stems and modified the brackets to get better leverage for less bump steer

MX Quad Dad

#7 Post by MX Quad Dad »

I really couldn't remember what was changed on them or how much.

I did just what you are saying. something didn't look right at our first few races. My son was try to get used to the dale and wasn't sure but felt something was wrong in the steering. we put it on a stand and couldn't find anything wrong, so the next morning I removed the shocks and there was intefearance. I then remved the springs and reinstalled the shocks and found it was still there but not as bad.

I know it was later in 2002 when I got the replacement stem and also believe it only afected the Moto.