Paddle Tires

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
LapTraffic

Paddle Tires

#1 Post by LapTraffic »

Im getting some paddle tires for the dale. What should I look at getting? Brand, number of paddles, tire size etc.

Thanks for the help.

Mjollnir

#2 Post by Mjollnir »

The hot ticket is 8 paddle Extreme Haulers on 10 inch wheels. They are pricey though. I like my 8 paddle edges, and almost all my friends run GBC Sand Sharks, they are very reasonably priced and hook up very well. Like 145 bucks from Rocky Mountain.

Don't get the paddle master whatever you do.

General concensus is that a v-paddle makes turning easier, but a straight paddle is better for drags. The "Gecko" claims to be the best of both worlds, but from what I have heard the jury is still out on this one.

Hope that helps.

Marc

aroracer72

#3 Post by aroracer72 »

Get Geckos, they are the best all around performin tires. And the 9 paddle is the best likes. Whether your jumpin, turnin, or draggin, these work excellent!!!

Mjollnir

#4 Post by Mjollnir »

My suggestion would be to analyze your riding style and get the best for what you like. Drag racing, get the Extreme Hauler; running dunes, get a v-paddle. I'm still out on the Gecko (sorry aroracer!).

I can tell you that I don't see a whole lot of difference in them. Best input you're going to get is from riders at the dunes that you will ride; sand is different everywhere. At Pismo, it's much harder packed then at, say, Glamis. I think Oregon is reputed to be pretty loose.

Remember, more paddles doesn't mean better! They will suck power if there are too many. Generally only the big dogs, highly modded Banshees and the like, will run more than 9 or 10 paddles. I did count mine, and I was mistaken, I have 9 paddle Edges. Again, for a more cost concious choice, go with Sand Sharks in my opinion. Edges are a bit lighter, but also cost $100 more for the pair.

FWIW, YMMV... biggrin.gif

Marc

claas900

#5 Post by claas900 »

..I dunno i just run my stock Speed tires..about 2lbs....i think there best for play dune rideing...and for dragin there alittle slow out of the hole,but more then make up for it on the top end,on a short hill 2 gear,then 3 gear ill catch them and most time beat them buy top of the hill..on a long drag..alittle slow out of the hole,but catch a pass..and itll gain rpms in 5th gear..most with paddles will just hols rpms in 5th gear..Paddles sceam to just make the bike want to go stright.
I dont know how far the beach is form you,but if you want to save $ just run stock tires and see how you like it,cant hurt anything..and if you have some friends with paddles browo them,run them, test them..see what u like best..

...But if you really want to get paddles,12/21 8 paddle Haulers on a 8X8 rim if i rember ??,NOT Taller Haulers there just to much for the bike.
I think stock gearing works best for it,but as we all know it chews up chain buffer...
..But we all have what we like to run..this is just what i like to run.....Thanks

Sandstorm

#6 Post by Sandstorm »

Hmmm you Cal guys run different then us Western MEN!!:wow Anyway I run Sand Devils. They only come in two size and w/ 8 paddles. Not the best, but you won't be unhappy. They are very durable and are the best bang for the buck..If you are gonna do mostly hillshooting a 21" tire is better. 20" tires turn better. For duning a V Blade is best. I hate V blades. An 8 paddle in a 20" tire for bowling if you prefer straight blades. I ran my Sand Devils and then put a set of Haulers on and ran up Choke Cherry Hill at Saint Anthonys, no difference and the size of the tires and amount of paddles were the same.. Nobody here runs Dune Sliders, or Sand Skates. Extreme Haulers seem good and durable but expensive... I mostly run Z400 Dunlops and they work great unless you feel you need to hillshoot...No Gecko's either. Pick them up and feel the weight, because it does matter.. Haulers are the lightest , but the paddles will tear off sooner then the others... Good luck

TricityCdale

This is good stuff!

#7 Post by TricityCdale »

I personnally prefer 20" 8 paddle Haulers. I have run 8 paddle Edges and Sand Skate II's as well as 8 paddle Hauler Extremes. Everyone is right though, the reason there are so many different paddle tires, is because the sand is different where ever you go and your riding style really dictates what you need.

If you plan on doing a lot of hill shooting get a 21" or 22" Hauler. It is amazing the difference out of the hole with those vs. a 20". I think they look gay except on full on drag bikes, but that's just my opinion. I will say though, with the power of the Cannondale, turning with Haulers can be a chore if you get in the throttle, they want to go straight.

For the Oregon Dunes, my favorite tire is the Hauler. The Edges didn't have enough forward bite to launch me up some of the stuff where you don't have room to get a run at it. Plus the Edges weigh about twice as much. I just bought the Extremes and am not really that impressed. The paddles are stiffer and to me, they don't offer the traction that the regular Haulers do. They should last longer though.

440 rider 34

#8 Post by 440 rider 34 »

Hey joe if you want to kick some butt the 20/10/10 8 paddle haulers are the way to go thats what I use and they hook up really really well. I have some Sand Skate II,s 20/10/10 still have the tits on them used one time I will make you a good deal on tires only if thats what you desire.