Frame Smacking?

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
who_gives_a6

#1 Post by who_gives_a6 »

Just trying to make sure I'm not crazy here. Switched over a setup from one quad to another. Did not adjust the front end at all. Just unbokted/rebolted. The only difference is I swapped to an Elka rear shock. Everything else identical. Same rims, tires, etc.

This one's frame smacks the ground right behind the a arm mounts and on the back right below the swingarm mounts on big jumps. Even when it doesn't bottom out, but gets close. The other frame never once hit.

The rear Elka after some investigating has too much stroke I believe so that probably doesn't help the rear but the smacking in the front end makes no sense. Am I overlooking something here?! Or does the rear overextending make that much of a difference?

Canniboomer

#2 Post by Canniboomer »

.. one basic check is to make sure the rear eccentric adjuster hole is in the southern hemisphere (or lower arc) for the chain-tension adjustment.
That will give the maximum and normal axle clearance anyway.
You could also compare steering stems where the rods attach, and if the steerbearing spacer is switched -- if that could make a diff with front bottoming I don't know but curious to note any and all differences..

who_gives_a6

#3 Post by who_gives_a6 »

I'll look at the stem when home tomorrow. I know the eccentric has the hole in the middle of the bottom after chain adjustment.

Both had the 03 straight top stems but didn't look if anything was different at bottom or anything. Both are 03 frames and vins are 16 numbers apart.

who_gives_a6

#4 Post by who_gives_a6 »

Solved the problem and as a reference in case anyone else runs into this I'm posting this.

The rear shock has more stroke than standard specifications according to an Elka tech who took it apart to revalve for me, but it's the same length. So the previous member on here I bought it from I guess had it redone/modified, or it was just a mistake on Elka's end. Probably the cause for the rear hitting due to it compressing too much. The rear only happened on very hard/big landings though.

The fronts are Fox Evol shocks and upon sending them in for the Kashima coating upgrade/rebuild, turns out the main chamber in one of the shocks actually "blew out". I didn't notice a rougher ride or anything, no oil, etc. The main chamber controls ride height and is kind of like the upper springs on coil shocks. The Evol chamber is like the main spring and protects against bottoming. When the main chamber went it through off the Evol chamber and even when upping the PSI, still didn't help. Funny part is that the main valve that blew still gave me a solid psi reading, though I noticed it going down a little after riding. Fox tech went through a long conversation about it with me and why things happen, but that's the issue.

So if you run air shocks and start to have frame smacking with good psi readings, have them rebuilt.