Another Shock Posting

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
rowlrag

#1 Post by rowlrag »

You can run the speed shocks with TheQuadShop ssd conversion. and the rear ssd conversion would be the cheapest and very good setup. You run XC? Thats what Jeff and I run on our Blaze's and is awesome! thogh the fronts are piggy backs.

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

I found the stock setup Ohlins front to be to stiff.I bought the optional springs from cannondale and stiffened up the comp.valving.Rode great didnt bottom on jumps or woops but it had to much body roll in corners.I then ordered triple rate springs from works for a 250r I had to make the x-over rings and machine off the stock preload adjuster to make them fit works great.I would imagine it would be same effect with elka springs.You will have to revalve since the speed Ohlins dont have comp. adjustment.Springs and nylon seats from works cost about $150.
In my opinion any suspension improvements to the front end are really worth it you will be amazed at how well a good setup works.

LapTraffic

#3 Post by LapTraffic »

Im pretty new to this stuff, but I was wondering about front end suspension.

Whats your take on wheel spacers vs longer A arms, is it worth it to go with them vs just increasing your stance. The spacers kindof make me nervous, Im think it adds mechanical advantage to the front end suspension components. I might be wrong, it's just a gut feeling.

What about long travel systems, are they nothing but pluses? or are there some tradeoffs (Other than increased stance in the case of XC)

Also, is stainless steel a bad material for A arms? I dont know a lot about the different metals.

Thanks for your input. I think suspension is the one thing Ill end up modifying when I get my dale.

Ryanstones

SSD???

#4 Post by Ryanstones »

What is SSD? Is it Elka's version of ZPS? What would be the benefits of this conversion (quadshop) on the OHLINS fronts? While i'm sitting on my hands i guess i could upgrade my shocks:)

Jeff could you please PM me a price? time frame? Should my OHlins be revalved at the same time?

Thanks

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

Laptraffic,
Front wheel spacers are a bad idea not only are they hard on the bearings and spindles they also expose your calipers and disks to damage the handling is also negativly affected.Rear wheel spacers are just okay but they can bend a stock axle.
All extended arms increase travel when used with shock of same lengths the farther out you go the bigger the arc.
The long travel systems usually use a 19 in shock and +3a-arms.
The normal extended arms use 17in shock and +2 arms.
The advantage with the long travel with +3 is that you run rims with only 1in offset to the outside and you will still be at or near 50in wide which is the A.M.A. limit this gives better handling than running 2in to outside like you would with +2 arms.The travel is a great benefit too.
The disadvantage is if you want to narrow the front up like to run a harescramble you cant.With +2 you could run a +1 offset rim and you would end up close to stock width.I like the long travel setup when I run a harescramble I put stock arms back on.
Stainless is highcarbon which would make it brittle chrome moly is the best I know of.

LapTraffic

#6 Post by LapTraffic »

Wow, thanks for the info!

ok, so 50 is the limit for MX or for all events?

Is that too wide for harescramble or XC?

Thanks again

wyndzer

#7 Post by wyndzer »

50 would be wide for XC, I would think 48 at the most, but probably narrower than that would be better.

JeffQuadShop

#8 Post by JeffQuadShop »

My 250R is at 44" with +1 long travel arms and 4+1 rims. I wouldn't want it any wider than that, even in the more open GNCC events!

LapTraffic

?!?!

#9 Post by LapTraffic »

Was looking at the cost of Houser A arms. Are these things made out of Chromoly or gold?

Is it me or are they extremely overpriced? 800 is pretty far out there is this just a 'Houser' thing or are they all like this (I only saw the houser name and dont know any other a arm manufacturers)

I wonder what it would cost to take plans to a fabrication shop?

For that matter I can buy a TIG welder for 800 bucks and reverse engineer a set of A-arms...

This would be relatively easy to jig and weld, and I think Chromoly is only a couple bucks a pound.

Theres got to be a better alternative, good grief, there's more to making a set of nerfs.

Anybody out there calling bs and finding another alternative?

wyndzer

#10 Post by wyndzer »

Good luck finding regular travel a-arms for a Cannondale.
If you find some let me know.