Which Front suspension?

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
cannondale440

Which Front suspension?

#1 Post by cannondale440 »

I am trying to decide between Houser and Gibson. Gibson seems like a better deal but I dont know of the quality. What are some of your guys opions?

KYmxracer52

#2 Post by KYmxracer52 »

I have a friend who has Houser on his 400EX, and they have held up fine. When I get ready to put arms on my dale this winter, I'm going to buy a set from Big Winky. They seem to be really good quality arms.

thomez

#3 Post by thomez »

I plan on buying the Gibson's - I like the design give you a lil extra ground clearance and just looks cool as heck. biggrin.gif

haydug

#4 Post by haydug »

I like the Houser, and they are tough as ***
I just replaced a lower ball joint on a set that when the guy wrecked, it buckled the part of the frame where the stem bolts on. It also wrecked a front wheel, bent the spindle and rotor. The a-arm was fine though.
The Houser also has needle bearing where they bolt to the frame. They are a quality peice.
The arms winky builds are nice as well. They would be my second choice.
Not real impressed with Gibson

Ryanstones

#5 Post by Ryanstones »

Originally posted by haydug
I just replaced a lower ball joint on a set that when the guy wrecked, it buckled the part of the frame where the stem bolts on....

Was that on a 'dale? I'm betting not.

440EX4ME

#6 Post by 440EX4ME »

I just replaced a lower ball joint on a set that when the guy wrecked, it buckled the part of the frame where the stem bolts on. It also wrecked a front wheel, bent the spindle and rotor. The a-arm was fine though.
The Houser also has needle bearing where they bolt to the frame. They are a quality peice.
The arms winky builds are nice as well. They would be my second choice.
Not real impressed with Gibson

Your not kidding on the strength of those houser a-arms.

Was the joint you replaced on the std or LT? If it was the Lt how tough was it to change? I ask that becasue I will be needing to replace the lowers over the winter for maintenence.

The newer Housers have the needle bearings and I guess that was part of the price I paid for having one of the first LT sets etc.

Have to agree with your thoughts on the others as well, but this is only based on visual and others experiences as the only gibson product I own is a East Coast ATV case saver LOL .

I have also found Housers customer service to be very good as well (though this has improved over time as the product lol) and even on some of the "stickier" issues you can seem to push them to work out something reasonable on any problems within reason.

They are also not afraid to spend time on the phone answering questions or discussing future parts etc. and this has been a large help.

Is this company perfect? No way but what one is?

Hope that helped smile.gif

haydug

#7 Post by haydug »

It actually was on a LT setup. The ball joint was bent bad, looked kinda like an "s" shape. It was on a dale also. The ball joint was a little pain, but not to bad

440EX4ME

#8 Post by 440EX4ME »

It actually was on a LT setup. The ball joint was bent bad, looked kinda like an "s" shape. It was on a dale also. The ball joint was a little pain, but not to bad

Well thats good to hear smile.gif

Since its not much more than a ball bushing with a threaded pin pressed into it the only things I was concerned with were the initial removal of the whole thing from the arm, and the removal and replacement of the pin into the ball bushing etc.

I hope that fact it was on a dale doesnt surprize anyone too badly smile.gif Seriously the mounting of the lower bearing isnt the greatest design ever for sure.

Ask anyone with the new teflon tie rod ends how much of the slop was in the lower bearing mount, from the ones I have seen it gets much more obvious once the other problem is corrected.

Thanks for the info.

JeffQuadShop

#9 Post by JeffQuadShop »

I agree with Haydug!

cannondale440

#10 Post by cannondale440 »

Thanks for the fast replies, It looks like I will be getting the houser. They are pricey but I believe they will make up for it in function and durability. Thanks for the opinions:usa