Has anyone seen this

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
Derno24

Has anyone seen this

#1 Post by Derno24 »

Ok this is the dilema. I have removed the swing arms bearings and this is what I cam up with. The roller bearings had a sleeve around them which after I recieved replacement bearings the replacement kit did not have them. Anyone see this before?

1.025 is the diameter of the bearings and the other measurement is for the diameter of the sleeve around the bearings.

thunderwolf

#2 Post by thunderwolf »

Nope, haven't had mine off yet.

KYmxracer52

#3 Post by KYmxracer52 »

Can you use the sleeve on the new bearings?

Derno24

#4 Post by Derno24 »

I hope so. Well after much deliberation and asking around. I found out this. That outer sleeve is something that was added by the preious owner. They did not maintain the swingarm bearings and they messed up the eyelet. When they took it too the machine shop they cleaned it down to the other size. They then used the sleeve to make up the difference. Hope this helps.

blaze#52

#5 Post by blaze#52 »

yeah, i replaced mine twice now and i have not seen anything like that, looks like what you said, any chance of getting a oversided bearing?

Derno24

#6 Post by Derno24 »

I was looking into that, but don't know if that is the answer. I am just afraid of the cost of something like that.

I will look further though and see what I can find.

Swampdale

#7 Post by Swampdale »

Check out Diamond Racing's Swingarm bearing kit. Call Jim "Big Winky". He can hook you up.

wyndzer

#8 Post by wyndzer »

I have seen many people machine a bushing to fit where the original was destroyed. It will actually probably be stronger if it has a tight seat when installed.

Derno24

#9 Post by Derno24 »

Originally posted by Swamp'dale
Check out Diamond Racing's Swingarm bearing kit. Call Jim "Big Winky". He can hook you up.

Spoke to Winky and I have his kit. The kit isn't the dilema...The hole it goes into is. Mine is bigger and that extra sleeve makes up the difference in sizes. I was just trying to figure out what that was without calling all over the place. I think I might just go to a local machine shop and get them to correct this.

When I spoke to Winky about the oversized bearing he seemed against it, but more due to availability than usefullness. I am going to look into the price on these and I will let you guys know what I find out.

NRath

#10 Post by NRath »

For the integrity of the swing arm, I'd put the sleeve back in and put it back together. If you upsize the bearing, your losing wall thickness in the swingarm. Granted, the wall thickness would be made up of 2 pieces, but that sleeve is probably pretty d@mn hard and would definitely add strength over a thinner wall.

If you decide to upsize the bearing, I don't think you'd have much trouble finding it, their made in 1000's of sizes. At worst, you'd have to have a small bit more cut out of the swing arm to fit the nearest bearing size. If you don't know where to look, I can get you a phone number.

Like I said at first, I'd go with the sleeve.wink.gif