A-Arm Ball Joint Greasing

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
Lightman02

A-Arm Ball Joint Greasing

#1 Post by Lightman02 »

As I have read the problems with the a-rms ball joints coming out, I have a few questions. Do they only come loose if your doing alot of high jumping and real heavy hard MX stuff??? ALso how would u grease them, do you take the ring off the rubber to get a needle in there, or is the metal ring non removable?? Also is it a sure thing these ball joints will fail, I get worried when riding now, and not sure of it's worth keeping the bike, I already put over $1500 into the engine and now this problem comes along. Don't get me wrong I love the bike but I don't want it to kill me either becasue of a defect. I have an 03 Cannibal and have the newer joints with the metal ring on them. Any thoughts??

NRath

#2 Post by NRath »

If you take the needle in hand, you can work it down in between the clip and into the joint. Then insert into the gun and juice it up.

Any unlubricated joint is going to grow increasingly sloppy regardles of riding style. Obviously, the harder you ride and higher you jump, the quicker it'll wear. When the slop gets excessive, start worrying. If your getting an 1/8" of movement in a single joint, it's time to be replacing it. I had more than that in mine and they didn't come apart. I don't believe a tight joint is going to come apart- you can ride with confidence. At least I do.

cdrookie

#3 Post by cdrookie »

my lower right one is bad. not terribly so but you can move it. i trail ride and do some hare scrambles. we hit some seriously rocky stuff when we ride and it hasn't broke yet. i don't worry about it. just saving for some new arms.

Lightman02

#4 Post by Lightman02 »

Can I use standard marine grease???

cdrookie

#5 Post by cdrookie »

that would work. some semi synthetic grease is great also.

Derno24

#6 Post by Derno24 »

Originally posted by cdrookie
my lower right one is bad. not terribly so but you can move it. i trail ride and do some hare scrambles. we hit some seriously rocky stuff when we ride and it hasn't broke yet. i don't worry about it. just saving for some new arms.

No excuses for the race on sunday!:w:

cdrookie

#7 Post by cdrookie »

i'm not worried about the race. you can take both your bikes and you still wouldn't make it across the finish line!tongue.gif

looks like another mudder. must be something about the pa races that bring snow and cold weather.

Derno24

#8 Post by Derno24 »

I knew there was a reason behind your helping me!!!!

I am going to the basement now and fix what you broke. If I can find it!:eek: :eek:

cdrookie

#9 Post by cdrookie »

you're the one with the impact gun! don't blame broken stuff on me!tongue.gif all my sabotage is well hidden and won't show itself till lap number 3. lap 4 if it's really muddy.tongue.gif tongue.gif

shouldn't you be house hunting now?

Derno24

#10 Post by Derno24 »

Nope took the day off. We go monday!smile.gif