ELKA questions

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
FUGITV

ELKA questions

#1 Post by FUGITV »

i run a full set of ELKAs on my dale, but no matter what i do the rear is softer than a feather pillow. I sent it out to elka and had them rebuild it for a 180 pound rider, although i only weigh 148 soaking wet. I set my compression on as hard as it will go, and have my SSD ring down about 1-7/8 inches from the top of the shock body. anybody have any thoughts on whats going on? im kinda new here so any thoughts will be greatly appreciated!!!

Ryanstones

yep

#2 Post by Ryanstones »

My Elka was real soft, and weeping oil. After the rebuild for 180# and it's still soft.

Jaybr

#3 Post by Jaybr »

Are they bottoming out? or just soft feeling?

I don't have Elka's on my Dales, but do have them on both 400ex's and the Mojave and they seem great.

KYmxracer52

#4 Post by KYmxracer52 »

I have Elka's on mine, and my rear is soft. I only have the preload ring down about 1-1/4"-1-1/2". I run hardly any compression. I weigh about 200lbs with gear and they set it up for that. It weird rough places on the track, my frame will touch the ground from lack of ground clearance, but as far as bottoming out on jumps, it won't unless It's say a huge tabletop and you don't downside it.

jfarrar

#5 Post by jfarrar »

my elka was soft from the get go and recently got it revalved and it is better now.it never bottomed before but had to run the comp. nearly all the way.now it is at a happy medium and works awesome.still feels soft but thats how i like it.the more aggressively i ride it the better it is.

CdaleRacer0128

#6 Post by CdaleRacer0128 »

i don't have the elka but the revalve n quadshop ssd conversion done to it, works lke a charm:confused:

FUGITV

#7 Post by FUGITV »

my fronts are fine, but like i said the rear is junk. not only is it soft, but it will bottom out far enough the the swingarm has broken the 90 degree fuel fitting right off the tank, and it has smashed the rest of the fitting enough that the tank drips gas. this is not good. a samll part of the may be due to the fact that i have a lonestar swing arm and the have two small tubes that run from the lower shock mount down the sides of the swingarm. all i know is that this shock has to get fixed or ill buy a TCS one. elka has had this shock TWICE and both times it come back and performs like crap. any other ideas?

oh btw, i have about 1/7/8 to 2 inches of threads ABOVE the preload ring:cry:

JeffQuadShop

#8 Post by JeffQuadShop »

What is your ride height set at?

FUGITV

#9 Post by FUGITV »

dont really knw. i know its high enough to almost get a nosebleed:eek:

i took the rearend and tied to frame up to the rafters at exactly the point the swingarm just about wanted to raise ie the longets stroke of the shock. i then turned down the preload ring to where the ssd spring was almost compressed. all i can say is that i have scrape marks starting almost halfway down my engine cradle to the back of the frame

im about to start:drink: soon......................

JeffQuadShop

#10 Post by JeffQuadShop »

sit on the quad and take a measurement from the frame to the ground just in front of the foot pegs.