LT or Std +1's?(for xc)

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
Pro400EXC

LT or Std +1's?(for xc)

#1 Post by Pro400EXC »

Hey Guys,

I race XC mostly,andf do a lil MX(maybe race a few)

The end of our racing season is over,so time for revamping the quad...

I have a few ideas and need help..

Tell me your opinions..

1. I wanna either go w/ +1 LT housers for 19in shocks

or

2. The +1 LT housers for 16in shocks

Also, if I go w/ the 2nd set-up should I just rebuild my ohlins or get some diffrent shocks?

Also should I then get my rear shock rebuilt,or a new one?

Thanks Guys,
Joe

KYmxracer52

#2 Post by KYmxracer52 »

If you're going to have a second set of a-arms for mx, I'd just go with the 16" shock setup and buy new shocks. If you're going to be doing XC the most, then the 16" shock setup will be fine with MX. A whole lot cheaper as well. If you go with the 19" setup, you'll have to buy LT a-arms for MX if you plan on using a wider arm setup for MX. As for the rear, rebuilding the stock one would be somewhat cheaper. But, if you buy a new one, that leaves your stock one as a spare. Nice to have if you can afford it. If you have to send your race shock in for service, you'll have a spare to ride on. It's really all up to you and how much you want to spend.

thomez

#3 Post by thomez »

He was thinking of getting the Houser +1 arms that take 19" shocks.

Pro400EXC

#4 Post by Pro400EXC »

Sry I said it wrong....

I will use the set-up I get for xc and mx,just change wheels and tires...

KYmxracer52

#5 Post by KYmxracer52 »

Well in that case, I'd definately go with the 19" setup. Nothing at all wrong with an extra 2.5"-3". Be smooth enough for XC, and long enough travel for the bigger MX jumps.

Derno24

#6 Post by Derno24 »

Only thing I saw that might be a problem with 19" ers is ground clearance under the arms. The spot where the shock mounts to the a-arm is lower than the rest of the arm. I thought about doing this myself, but because of rocks and rutted situations decided against it. I am sure it wouldn't cause major issues, but a friend has them and his mounts look like someone took a sledge to them. He rides in rocky terrain. Just something to chew on!

haydug

#7 Post by haydug »

If money is NO issue, than the long travel is the way to go. But, you do have the ground clearance issue that derno(aka: froggy) mentioned. For the price of 16" shocks, I would go with standard travel. Besides, look at Jeff@quadshop, he is running stock arms still.

Pro400EXC

#8 Post by Pro400EXC »

Well,I mean will there be a big difference between the two?I eman will the LT ride smoother and make me less tired from not getting beat up?

Ahh who cares what Jeff runs ohmy.gif ,I want the bling image,lol biggrin.gif

Besides,school just ended,and life begins,now i can get a REAL job..

Derno24

#9 Post by Derno24 »

Well Long travel is definitely plusher, but how much is up to debate. To some the extra expense involved with long travel shocks doesn't justify itself. To me cost was irrelevant. I just didn't like the lower shock mounts. Besides a well setup suspension in regular travel can be very nice!:eek:

JLHUGHES750

#10 Post by JLHUGHES750 »

Bigger is better!!!! In all seriousness once I got used to 19inchers it became real hard to ride anything else.... I felt it was definetly worth the $... I tried and checked out a few then decided to go with the Gibsons.. there design is great for ground clearance. I race XC and have not destroyed an arm yet... The feeling of stability u get when in the off cambers and rutted spots is unreal..... Gibson LT with Axis for me...its the only way to go.