Installing my Housers...got questions

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
crawlr

Installing my Housers...got questions

#1 Post by crawlr »

I got +1" Housers from the Haydug deal and I'm finally installing them. The first question I have is...with the upper balljoint being adjustable, how much camber do I want? I ride mostly trails and sand. Should I just go pretty much straight up and down or should I lean them in some?

My other question has to do with the bearing ends that attach to the frame. I put in the sleeve and put the thrust washer and the dust cover on both sides and they are narrower than the frame mounts. They came with a bunch of washers but no mention of them in the instructions. I assume these go on either side of the dust covers to take up the space. That seems to fit the mount if i try just one but when I try both at the same time the spacing between the two is a little too narrow. Basically what I'm saying is, it seems that the A-arms don't quite fit the frame...unless I'm doing something wrong. I can probably hammer the washer in there but I'm pretty sure they won't move freely if I do.

I think I'll hit the hardware store in the morning and see if I can find some washers with a different thickness or some shims that I can stack.

Did I do something wrong or has anyone else had the same issues? What did you do? Maybe it's my frame?

BTW, these A-arms are some serious art work. Very nice!

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

There were two styles of arm mounts.02 early had narrow mounts late 02 and 03 had wider mounts.This might be your problem.I would just find some washers that fit or have some ground to size.

cdrookie

#3 Post by cdrookie »

i had the same problem. i emailed doug and he said he gets hardware store washers and they fit fine. i surface ground 3 of my washers to fit. i got a 1/4 inch fender washer and ground one to that thickness, one .005 bigger and one .005 smaller and it was a perfect fit.

you are correct in assuming one goes in front and one in the back. and use a little lean(camber) when you install them. maybe one turn on the ball joint.

Jaybr

#4 Post by Jaybr »

Yep, I had the same problem on mine. When I installed them on the brand new quad they fit fine with the washers, when I moved them to the 02 I had to find thinner washers.

I guess the tabs actually do move in a little over time.

Don't worry about the washers being tight, their not supposed to move, the arms pivot on the bushings and the sleeve should be tight.

fyrmedic

#5 Post by fyrmedic »

When I installed my ASR arms, the spacers were too wide, talked to them and they told me that c-dale did change the width at the frame, mine is an early 02 and narrower tabs.

Jaybr

#6 Post by Jaybr »

Fry, I had some ASR's and they came with the narrow spacers. ASR sent me the right ones so I had an extra set, do you need the narrow ones? I can probably find them if you do.

fyrmedic

#7 Post by fyrmedic »

Thanx, but no, I had the right ones sent to me. I have a spare set of wider ones if you want!!lol Sounds like we shoulda swapped!