new ATK a-arms?

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
trav

new ATK a-arms?

#1 Post by trav »

hi everyone.
this is trav at ATK, i'm doing a survey and some R&D on a-arms. we're designing new arms for all models. what are you guys mostly interested in if your looking for replacements, or for production on new units?

with the 18 3/4" shocks, long travel arms, wheel travel is estimated around 14" of travel. this can be with +1 or +2 arms. also we'll probably be useing hiem joints and heavy duty ball joints, caster and camber adjustability on ALL. thanks, trav

Jaybr

#2 Post by Jaybr »

Trav,

A few weeks ago there was a guy on ebay selling out all of his stock of American Star a-arms for the Cannondale/ATK and posted that ATK was now the sole distributor for these arms. Any truth to that? Are the arms your polling about being manufactured by American Star? Just curious.

Moto shocks where 19" eye to eye, Houser and others use 19.5". Can you do 19" or 19.5" instead of 18 3/4"?

Also, +2 arms won't get the quad quite to 50", more like 48" with stock wheels. Most feel that they get better handling with 4/1 offset wheels, which puts the front end at 46-47" with +2 arms, not MX width. Any chance you could make something wider?

+1 with longer shocks are great for XC because you can go to a 4/1 offset wheel and stay stock width.

I'm not trying to bust your chops or anything, I just think you would be better off with a +2.5 - +3" arms using 19-19.5" shocks.

thomez

#3 Post by thomez »

My opinion is that the arms needed most are the stock width or +1 since the ball joints on the Cannondale ones suck so badly. Wider arms have been usually available to those who wanted them (Houser, Walsh, Gibson, etc).

JST

#4 Post by JST »

I gotta agree w/Thomez on the +1 thing.Most people get a quad to play ride or ride the trails and a very popular mod is the +1 a-arms.Very few ever see a MX track so anything wider than the +1 may make people look elsewhere when purchasing a quad since most trails are ridden by narrow quads.jmo

levi550

#5 Post by levi550 »

Gotta say, I agree with Thomez and JST...

Given that there are many (listed by Thomez) sources for the longer than +1's, business wise, ATK would need to compete with a far superior arm, or be a equal value at a lesser price. Then they are fighting for the "few" people doing MX and are in the market for +2, +3 or whatever.

If they do a stock replacement or a +1, I would think that they would have less competition, plus a much larger pool of potential customers looking for replacements of broken, or a more reliable arm/ball joint.

my .02

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

Stock width or +1 with a heavyduty balljoint.Skip the Heims we have enough joints to go bad already.Just use bushings and flanged sleeves like stock and make the arms correctly so they dont need to be adjusted at the pivots.An adjustable balljoint would be nice to correct the improper location of top left arm mounting holes on some stockers.

thunderwolf

#7 Post by thunderwolf »

+3" with 19" shocks

jacobw

#8 Post by jacobw »

+1 for long travel for gncc or the +1 for the 16 either way I would be happy but LT is better

jacobw

#9 Post by jacobw »

wouldn't +2 arms get your quad 4inches wider total and that would be 50 in total with 3+2 wheels and 4+1 wheels will get u down to 48" right?

thomez

#10 Post by thomez »

Originally posted by jacobw
wouldn't +2 arms get your quad 4inches wider total and that would be 50 in total with 3+2 wheels and 4+1 wheels will get u down to 48" right?

Yes.