Wheel Spacers

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
CptHook

Wheel Spacers

#1 Post by CptHook »

I dont know much about these guys so fill me in, I rode a stock raptor and then a raptor that had spacers and wider durablue, the difference was night and day, now Im determined to widen my dale by at least a couple inches. Im running the stock ohlins on my 03 speed. Im planning on getting some +1 housers(if Haydug can get them) and then thinking of throwing some +1 spacers on, is this possible?
Do they make spacers for the rear?
How much do they cost (front and/or rear)?
Is it more worth it to just get a wider axle?
Pros/Cons?
On a college budget....
Any help is appreciated, thanks guys

JST

#2 Post by JST »

Are you putting the spacers and arms on the front or arms on the front and spacers on the rear?

Anyways,I ran spacers on the rear for about 4 months until they couldn't take the abuse anymore.I went to change a tire and when I took the wheel off,a bunch of wheel spacer parts fell all over the place.This was after 4 months of light mx abuse.If you are trail riding with very little jumping I see no reason not to use them in the rear but keep checking them.I definately would not use them in the front,it will cause adverse handling,BUMP steer. Hope this helps.Hopelully othes will chime in and give their experiences as well.

CptHook

#3 Post by CptHook »

Thanks a bunch JST, yeah I dont plan on upgrading from the stock suspension because I really have no gripes with it, so I guess I really cant go more than +1s in the front with stock suspension (right?). If I go +1 in the front with a-arms I want to match the rear as well. but I really dont want to by a brand new axle just for an extra inch on each side if I can do it with spacers instead. Can using spacers damage my axle? Or just the spacers? Again I dont even know how much spacers cost, but I do know a new axle will run me around 600-700 sad.gif. Also if I do put spacers on top of new a-arms on the front (if this is possible with stock suspension) will a steering damper make up for the added bump steer, or is it not enough to make up for it? Keep the advice rollin guys

JST

#4 Post by JST »

Steering dampner will help,some.Look at it as only a bandaid not a cure.I don't know if you will be able to find 1" spacers for the rear or not.As for the front,1" aarms should be fine w/stock suspension,you'll just have to turn up your preload .

CptHook

#5 Post by CptHook »

yeah, the only wheel spacers I could find for the rear were 2", I guess thats whys Im trying to figure out the best way to widen my front end by 2" on each side, the only other way I can think of other than +1 arms and 1" spacers is to get +2 a-arms, but that would require new suspension correct?

JST

#6 Post by JST »

Resprund and revalved.I ran a +3 aarm on the front with the preload turned up all the way for a while until I could afford to have the front done.I had mine done by GT Thunder in Ohio.I think it cost around $200 for the fronts.W/o having the fronts done the bike would bottom out over medium sized jumps and under real hard braking the front end would dive.

cdalemx301

#7 Post by cdalemx301 »

Im not sure what ur lookin for a rear axle that is 600-700 but i just payed a little over 300 for one from haydug

cdalerider75

Re: Wheel Spacers

#8 Post by cdalerider75 »

Originally posted by CptHook
I rode a stock raptor and then a raptor that had spacers and wider durablue, the difference was night and day

Please describe what night and day was like???

Also rear axle's sell for like under 400$ One thing to remember is how do you transport your bike, make sure it will still fit on your trailer.

Which stem do you have on your bike?

I have a stock speed (well not that much stock anymore) and one of my first updates was installing the Denton steering non-rebuildable steering damp. now that was night and day and worth every penny.

The night and day was that my arms didn't kill the next day, although I do think my tire rod ends pay for it.

BTW you are not that far from me, we will have to ride sometime!!

cdalemx301

#9 Post by cdalemx301 »

Dembek no worries about fitting when i come getmy axle from you this weekend my bike isnt gonna fit in my truck anymore so tongue.gif you just figure it out after you spend all the money to make it wider at least thats what im doing....

cdalerider75

#10 Post by cdalerider75 »

Cdalemx301 ..... say that was post 350!!!! :clap: your such a posting whore

on that note make it 180 for me:)