steering stem

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
guthrie08

steering stem

#1 Post by guthrie08 »

i never removed a steering stem and its probably easier then it looks but is there any tips i should know, does the air box have to be removed to get the steering stem out, thanks

guthrie08

#2 Post by guthrie08 »

also how do i get these tie-rods out, im a rookie lol

Cdale_racer_669

#3 Post by Cdale_racer_669 »

i havent taken one off before, but after putting the motorcycle horn in the airbox, im pretty sure that u will have to take the airbox off to take the steering stem out. not for sure tho, thats just what it looks like to me:drink:

wistech

#4 Post by wistech »

You need to remove the top of the airbox cover to change a stem. The tie rod bolts can be removed with a allen wrench on the ball side and a socket on the other. Turn the socket not the allen bit or the bit will snap. A propane torch might be needed to loosen the locktite on the nut if its really tight. Also the nut on the bottom of the stem has a cotter key in it so be sure to remove and reinstall it later. Be sure to grease the upper stem bearing with a good waterproof grease and locktite all the bolts.

guthrie08

#5 Post by guthrie08 »

thanks, another question, how do i get the balljoint out of the spindle, not out of the a-arm

cdalemx301

#6 Post by cdalemx301 »

your in for a fun time with those ball joints....i had to heat my spindles with a torch then take to hammers and at the same time hit the spindle on each side of the ball joint do it two or three times and it pops out,....be careful not to light the little rubber boots on fire tho lol

wistech

#7 Post by wistech »

A good sharp whack with a brass hammer to the side of the spindle pops em right off. You could also use a pickle fork if you are going to change the ball joints. It will trash the boots. There is a tool that sometimes works if the joints are pointing at each other. It is basically a bolt with a long threaded nut.

guthrie08

#8 Post by guthrie08 »

thanks for all the help, i took the a-arms to a local shop to get the ball joints pressed out, you guys have any tips on setting the camber and caster? i dont even know what that is lol, and how about the wheel offset.

Happyboy

#9 Post by Happyboy »

The stock arms are not adjustable. And offset is with the wheels.

wistech

#10 Post by wistech »

Only the moto arms have ajdustable upper joints.