SSD - Pipe?

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
CannondaleRider

SSD - Pipe?

#1 Post by CannondaleRider »

At the Glamis ride, someone was telling someone that he didn't like SSD setups and that anything other than the stock shock would make the rearend hit the pipe.

I like the Elka Elite rear shock and would like to have a zero preload, dual or triple rate setup. But would anything hit the pipe like whoever it was said.......Or did I hear wrong.

Just curious:)

jesshamner

#2 Post by jesshamner »

You heard right. I'm pretty sure that they were telling me something like this. I am not sure about it though. I think it might have been ****** telling me that. Even if it did hit...a small dent in the can is a small price to pay for a nice plush ride.

Derno24

#3 Post by Derno24 »

Small dent? Man you guys must be easy on your machines. Mine has a nice sonic bend to it right now. Now for the other part. I have checked on acouple things Elka's are super soft so they allow for alot of down travel making it easier to ding your exhaust.

When I spoke to the Lenig Brothers about their machines they explained that a properly revalved Ohlins minus the SSD was the best set-up for them. Dirt has even commented that the rear shock he had a chance to ride on was much better. I will be looking into doing that to a rear Ohlins soon so I can chime in on this better.

I currently run an Elka rear and I love the ride, but I am curious to try the Ohlins.

haydug

#4 Post by haydug »

I run a stock ohlins with TCS conversion, and I love that setup. I also have a Elka elite on my woods bike, and I can honestly say there is not a hill of beans difference. As for the dented cans, my bikes do not have dented cans (maybe I don't jump enough). I am also trying to figure out now how to speed up my preload/rebound without losing the low ride height. After coming off of my dirtbike, I don't feel I get enough "lift" out of the suspension, so I will be playing with that as soon as the weather breaks.

Blazinmoto

#5 Post by Blazinmoto »

I have an dual rate elka elite and it hits the can more than I'd like. I have a FMF Ti that now has major dents in it but I think its a small price to pay for that setup, I love it. Only concern is that the dents might hinder performance.

Derno24

#6 Post by Derno24 »

Originally posted by haydug
I run a stock ohlins with TCS conversion, and I love that setup. I also have a Elka elite on my woods bike, and I can honestly say there is not a hill of beans difference. As for the dented cans, my bikes do not have dented cans (maybe I don't jump enough).  

Or you just aren't fat enough like myself!

jesshamner

#7 Post by jesshamner »

I'm not sure you can get away from denting the can at all. I had ripped my toaster from the bracket when I flatlanded a huge double on my mx debut. It wasn't pretty. I was running the crappy fox rear but I had the preload cranked down b/c I was bottoming out on smaller jumps before that race.

quadprorider

#8 Post by quadprorider »

All I can say about my Quadshop Elka rebuild ohlins is that it works great. I have a TC pipe on it now and it has never hit. I weigh 200 pounds and the shock was set up for a 145 pound rider and the settings are set dead in the middle with NO bottom out what so ever. The only reason I would EVER sell my ohlins conversion would be to buy a elka remote rezzie for a Walsh 250r kit. IMO, I think thay for the price of the ohlins rebuild, and a new elka shock, I would stick with the ohlins because of its great performance. BTW, a few weeks ago I hit a 90ft tabletop with no bottoming out.........tongue.gif

jesshamner

#9 Post by jesshamner »

If you're hitting the axle with your can, you have big problems anyway. I can understand hitting the brake caliper.

claas900

#10 Post by claas900 »

..My Wilco pipe hit,so i came up with this spacer set up..havent used it yet,but i will soon...
....I dont have must time on my TCS SS rear,but i like it for the soal reason that it should save the chain slide?