pic's of the insides of a shock, please?

Shocks, a-arms, swingarms, tires, brakes, etc..
cdalerider75

pic's of the insides of a shock, please?

#1 Post by cdalerider75 »

Does anyone have photo's of a shock taken apart? I think it would be neet for someone, that is updating their shock.. to take photos of what is inside the shock.. like what do the valves look like..

How do +3 valving look diff from stock valving?

I just don't recall anyone posting pics of the guts of a shock...

banzairx7

#2 Post by banzairx7 »

Mechanically I would guess the changes for the stiffer valving are very, very minor. Probably just some smaller orifices and if there is any kind of spring mechanism in there those would be stiffer.

Here is a link with some basic shock info that might be helpful/interesting-
http://www.koni.com/_cars/_general_info/te...n/shockabs.html

Ours are probably the mono-tube style.

cdalerider75

#3 Post by cdalerider75 »

thanks, but I still would like to see if someone could post photos of the guts of our shocks...

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

I will be freshening up my rear shock wednesday.I will take pics.This is the guts of a Viper snowmobile shock similar to our fronts.Same principal.These shocks are one stage valving (all shims same size)they suck.Ours are staged different Christmas tree shaped stacks of valve shims to make them progressive(soft then firm)

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

Shims come in different thicknesses and sizes.

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

Some Ohlins shims are triangle shaped with small bypass holes in them these shims cover the ports in valvebody making the oil force them open.How much force it takes oil to bend the shims is what you control with amount and size of shims and relation to each other.

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

The size of the ports in the valvebody also affect the force needed for oil to bend shims and let oil pass through.P.E.P and works front shock use a ball and spring instead of shims in the valve body to control rate which oil goes through valvebody.Either way what they all do is control the rate and pressure it takes to let oil pass from one side of valvebody to other.

cannondale27

#8 Post by cannondale27 »

Here is Ohlins rear.What makes them special is the small piston located on top main one.ATV sport had a article about them last month.

cannondale27

#9 Post by cannondale27 »

Body

cannondale27

#10 Post by cannondale27 »

Guage/needle for injecting Nitrogen could be made up at hardware store.Needles can be had at drugstore.They make you sign for them though to make sure you arent using or something!
Notice how my bumpstop is cut smaller(hint).