engine cleaning tip

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
banzairx7

engine cleaning tip

#1 Post by banzairx7 »

Im in process of rebuilding my engine and decided I should clean the engine block up. I tried degreasers, wheel cleaners, little wire brushes and was getting no where fast. I ended up using some Alumiprep I got at west marine. This stuff works awesome. The block looks brand new now. It is available here-

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/store...productId=30544

at $28/quart it's not cheap but worth every penny. My block was shiny new in no more than 20 minutes.

Be sure to follow the instructions carefully. It is an acid and if you leave it on for hours it can start to eat things away. I just kept on brushing it on and using the brush to free up dirt for ~10 minutes. Then I brushed it down with soapy water, then plain water. Finally I used compressed air to blow out all the tapped holes and dry the block up.

azcannon

#2 Post by azcannon »

Mine is in the dishwasher right now, I used carb cleaner first and a brush but still looked unfinished so its geting the old intaske manifold treatment

saltus440

#3 Post by saltus440 »

You can also use a product caled Bush aluminum wheel cleaner. It comes in 3 strengths. a mild, medium, and a heavy duty. i would try the mild or the medium. The heavy duty will turn it like a dull white. It is an acid product like the one described above but is much cheaper. be sure not to let dry on the part and follow directions exactly. It is much cheaper than the other mentioned product. Probably about 6-$10??

CptHook

#4 Post by CptHook »

Thanks for the tips guys :usa

saltus440

#5 Post by saltus440 »

forgot to mention the bush products are usually sold at truck shops, I get mine at my Mack truck dealer here in MA.

iceracer17

#6 Post by iceracer17 »

I used the same as c27 did for the frame, eagle etching wheel cleaner.Just make sure the bearings are out when doing it,they will rust up almost instantly.

banzairx7

#7 Post by banzairx7 »

Originally posted by iceracer17
I used the same as c27 did for the frame, eagle etching wheel cleaner.Just make sure the bearings are out when doing it,they will rust up almost instantly.

That's what I usually use. It just wouldn't touch the baked on dirt on my block though.

tat

#8 Post by tat »

Try Purple Stuff and a pressure washer. This is for the entire quad, not just the motor. You can eat of my quad, except on race day. Use full strength and DO NOT let it sit to long. 5-10 minutes TOPS.

KRMit

#9 Post by KRMit »

Originally posted by tat
Try Purple Stuff and a pressure washer. This is for the entire quad, not just the motor. You can eat of my quad, except on race day. Use full strength and DO NOT let it sit to long. 5-10 minutes TOPS.

Are you talking about Purple Power? That's the stuff I use thanks to Jwheat pointing it out. It's done a pretty good job of cleaning anything I've sprayed it on. It seems to take the really grimy stuff off in layers though so I may have to hit some parts more than once to get them clean.

tat

#10 Post by tat »

There are 2 brands 1-Purple Power and 2-Purple Stuff. Same thing, just one is cheaper than the other.