oil in cylinder HELP

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
crashnburn

oil in cylinder HELP

#1 Post by crashnburn »

2003 LE For some reason i kept getting alot of oil in my cylinder to the point it wont crank over. I know that could cause the motor to hydrualic and bent parts. Not good. I remember hearing that these machines will do that if they sit for a while. THis time the quad probably sat for a couple of weeks. I've left it longer and its ben fine. WHat do i need to do to fix this problem? Maybe a frame flush? If so whats the trick to do that? I want to ride.
Thanks for any help or input.

Cdale_racer_669

#2 Post by Cdale_racer_669 »

flip it over take the sparkplug out and crank it over to get the oil out. i think, let someone else chime in first lol

comander420

#3 Post by comander420 »

make sure the oil is just under the full mark, if it is over at all that could be the reason. I thought at the top of the full side would be fine and mine hydrolocked 3 times until I drained a little out and it never happened again.

Happyboy

#4 Post by Happyboy »

More than likely your check ball valve in the main oil pump behind the filter has a little bit of crud in it. Many times you can get this resolved by doing a couple of oil changes. If you don't change the oil enough you can get junk in there that keeps the ball from closing 100%. This will allow oil to drain from the frames down into the motor and then into the cylinder.

Take the spark plug out and crank it over a couple of times. You will make a mess. Then stand it up on the back end and crank it over a couple more times. Then you have to let the cylinder dry out. I will usually use a long lighter and light it down deep. Then spray air and relight it. i repeat this bout 6 times to be sure its dry. Then put a good plug in it and gitter done!

Hope for the best on the oil changes. If it doesnt' clear up after a couple of changes then you will have to drop the motor and clean/replace that part. unless you can find another way.

azcannibal

Exactly the Problem Happy Boy!

#5 Post by azcannibal »

Originally posted by Happyboy
More than likely your check ball valve in the main oil pump behind the filter has a little bit of crud in it.

This is what mine was doing before I sent my engine to Big Winky late last year.

He took out my check ball valve assembly and flushed it out with either a solvent or more oil and sent compressed air through the valve.  Bummer is you have to drop the engine and take off your side cover and then take off your oil filter housing to expose the Check Ball assembly.

Happy boy couldn't have said it better.

Many times you can get this resolved by doing a couple of oil changes.  If you don't change the oil enough you can get junk in there that keeps the ball from closing 100%.  This will allow oil to drain from the frames down into the motor and then into the cylinder.  

Take the spark plug out and crank it over a couple of times.  You will make a mess. Then stand it up on the back end and crank it over a couple more times.  Then you have to let the cylinder dry out.  I will usually use a long lighter and light it down deep.  Then spray air and relight it.  i repeat this bout 6 times to be sure its dry.  Then put a good plug in it and gitter done!

Hope for the best on the oil changes.  If it doesnt' clear up after a couple of changes then you will have to drop the motor and clean/replace that part.  unless you can find another way.

bigdawg

#6 Post by bigdawg »

I had this, a couple of points that havent been covered though...

When you take the plug out and turn it over put a rag over the hole otherwise like me you'll have oil all over the ceiling, and it really does rain oil....

To get it started running again i put gas staright into the inlet manifold, save about 1/s hour of turning over and running down your battery

And finally be prepared for white smoke from the exhaust and a few other parts of the bike.....you'll feel like youre at a 1980's bon jovi concert......

The cause of this I dont know....for me I totally overfilled the engine oil and I had it coming out of everywhere, for quads Ive heard it can happen if its stored upright and left for a while.....

good luck

crashnburn

#7 Post by crashnburn »

THanks for the input. I change the oil every 2 tanks of fuel and use mobile one. Ill have to try changing it again because ive pulled the plug out and cranked it over and got everything out and left it sit a few days until i got a new plug. I cranked it over before i was gonna put the plug in but it was full of oil again.

Happyboy

#8 Post by Happyboy »

sounds like your check ball is gummed up pretty bad. I have an idea I am going to look at tonight and I will let you know.

crashnburn

#9 Post by crashnburn »

Thanks let me know. Iwant to get this beoch running so i can hurt myself.:eek: