Won't turn over

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
61austin

#11 Post by 61austin »

Take a screwdriver and jump the posts on the solenoid and see if it turns over then.

quadprorider

#12 Post by quadprorider »

Well, I turned the key on and jumped the 2 posts on the solenoid together with a screw driver and still nothing.... all it will do is click. Anymore ideas? I'm open to offers!smile.gif

Easy E

#13 Post by Easy E »

First off, is the battery OK? I know you said it was on the charger, but perhaps a jump off your cars battery(engine not running) to see if the battery is the issue. Also, check this post on proper battery charging as our batteries can be easily destroyed by improper charging:

http://www.cannondaleriders.com/vbb/showth...&threadid=12082

Secondly, is the motor turning over freely? Pull the cover off the flywheel, put a wrench on the flywheel bolt to see if you can turn the motor over that way to make sure there isn't any internal binding issues.

quadprorider

#14 Post by quadprorider »

I took the starter off of my bike, took it over to my truck and hooked it up to the battery with the motor not running..... it didn't spin or anything so now I guess the starter is bad. I took some jumper cables, hooked the pos. to the post on the starter, and the neg. to the casing of the starter and yet still nothing. Do 400ex starters work perfect? I know that on the end of the starting gear you have to cut off the extra bearing support to make it work but does anything else have to be done to make it work?

Happyboy

#15 Post by Happyboy »

I think that is it. I don't know if anyone has actually done it before but from the looks of it we have the same starter but they have the little goofy end thingy. Just chop it off.

quadprorider

#16 Post by quadprorider »

As long as the mounting points are the same, the gears are the same, and it spins the right way I think it should work. At one time you had one to look at, did it spin the right way? Were the gears the same except for the extra bearing support? Are the mounting points the same? Any info would be great!

moto450

#17 Post by moto450 »

q-rider, why not take the starter apart ( probably tons of crud in there. ) most of the time brushes are stuck in there causing it not to turn off. theres a complete diagram of the starter on our cd's check with ****** he may know right where to find it on the cd or in the archives(he's the man :clap: :bow: niagara says so :drink: )

quadprorider

#18 Post by quadprorider »

I took it apart and it looked like the whole magnet exploded and it broke the brushes off. I already have a new one waiting for me I just have to go pick it up. I will let all of you guys know how it turns out. Thanks for the help, Nick.

61austin

#19 Post by 61austin »

If you are taking it apart check the power wire where it goes through the casing of the starter. Sometimes the post turns when trying to remove the starter wire which can break the wire inside or the insulator around the post.

61austin

#20 Post by 61austin »

Guess I was to late. Pay no attention to the previous post