Getting the sprocket hub off.

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Iamjacob

Getting the sprocket hub off.

#1 Post by Iamjacob »

I've already searched for a while but I still have a question.

I've already pressed the hub on further to get the ring clip out, but now I can't get the darn hub off. I got the hub to slide up about 1/4", enough to cover the groove that the ring clip goes into but it won't budge from there. I thought the hub may have just stuck on the splines so I tried to push it back on but now it won't move at all.

I made a press out of my floor jack and the beam that goes a cross the garage door but with the 2.5 ton jack the hub won't budge. Am I missing a step here or do I need a stronger press?

What do sprocket hubs go for? Would it be easier to just buy another hub than pay to have a shop press mine off?

Jake

61austin

#2 Post by 61austin »

If you have a block of wood laying around, hold the axle vertical and slam the axle down onto the wood. Repeat unil the hub slides off. You might also try spraying WD-40 on it to clean the splines and help lube it.

Iamjacob

#3 Post by Iamjacob »

I tried slamming the axle / pipe combo into a piece of steel for as long as my arms could continue to pick it up to no avail. The WD-40 didn't seem to help either. I'll try again when I get home today to see if letting the WD-40 soak in for a day helps at all.

quadprorider

#4 Post by quadprorider »

Try some liquid wrench or something of that type. WD40 is a lube and not too good of a rust breaker in my opinion. PB Blaster also works extremely well too.

Iamjacob

#5 Post by Iamjacob »

Thanks guys. The WD-40 soaked in and it came apart pretty easy. I guess I'm just too impatient.