Important discovery with our fuel flow!

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Zerotact

#11 Post by Zerotact »

I;ve been paying under $3 a piece for fram filters (what ever part number is in the owner's manual ) from O'riley auto parts....
Is there something special about the metal re-enforced ones?

USAMoto00

#12 Post by USAMoto00 »

I got mine from the local x-Cannondale dealer. They said that they are the same part# as the original C-dale ones. They might be the same #, but I don't think that they will work for our system. A carb. golf cart compared to my fuel injected Dale. NOT! lol These things could really hurt somebody! I might have just got a bad batch, but there are 4 brand new ones here and all of them are junk. They fill up almost full while sitting, and then wham! Disappear-O once you start it up.:mad:

Jaybr

#13 Post by Jaybr »

I'd be more worried about the filters holding fuel than the ones that empty out when it's running.

If the filter is empty, all the fuel coming from the tank is flowing like it should.

If it's holding fuel the filter is probably not flowing enough.

I've never had one hold fuel:confused:

jesshamner

#14 Post by jesshamner »

I've never had one stay full either. I have used napa gold 3011 filters since my first filter change. I have found that the only inconsistency in these is the life of the filter. Some last for a long time, others last a while. All filters last more than 2 races which about the usual change interval for me.

Psychosis

#15 Post by Psychosis »

This has got me thinking to myself now. I've used nothing but the Napa golds like most of you but I've noticed the same thing. (Just thought maybe a design change.) I'm wondering if this possibly caused my problem which hurt my wrist. The filter used to be mostly full while running and pretty well empty when sitting but now it's completely full when sitting and just runs off the stream during operation.

It wasn't like this until probably 3 changes ago. I've changed filters probably 20 times or better that I can recall all using the 3011's so how would I tell if one's bad ahead of time? Or is there? Why the change or did I get a bad batch/wrong one?

GMAK

#16 Post by GMAK »

the fuel filter should be mostly full when cold. once you start it sucks it in and is now a stream. the only way to tell if the filter is good or bad is to try it out.

NRath

#17 Post by NRath »

I've always used the Fram 4164, the stock one. I get them at a local parts store for about 2.50 each. For a long time, I noticed my filters typically were near empty when running. That is until I cut off the small part of the filter, where it slips into the hose. The ID of the inlet gets larger past the first step. Now the filters stay at about half full or better when running.

A side note is that I haven't had any problems (so far) with the filter either way. I usually run my fuel filters about 5-10 hours before replacing.

Exodus

#18 Post by Exodus »

Just out of curiousity, what exactly are the requirements for a fuel filter. I know the pump pressure is 42lbs, but what other requirements are needed? I was flipping though Jegs and they had a pile of fuel filters that were rated for 450 hp motors so on and so fourth. Some were see through with replaceable filters, some were billet, you get the picture. They had some that filter 30 microns and some were better, would any of those filters be suitable for our motors? Just looking for something better.

cannondale27

#19 Post by cannondale27 »

I am also going to try one of the filters in Jegs.The paper ones do seem to vary.Probably doesnt matter since there has always been plenty of flow out return line but has bugged me nonethe less.I will use one for a mechanical fuel pump since they suck the fuel out of tank like ours does also.Doesnt need to be highpressure rated unless you want to put it on outlet side of pump which also isnt a bad idea.

USAMoto00

#20 Post by USAMoto00 »

Originally posted by Jaybr
I'd be more worried about the filters holding fuel than the ones that empty out when it's running.

If the filter is empty, all the fuel coming from the tank is flowing like it should.

If it's holding fuel the filter is probably not flowing enough.

I've never had one hold fuel:confused:

I'm just trying to help people out here Jay.This was the only thing that I changed from one day to the next and it was when my problems started. I actually overlooked it because it was so small of a change that I didn't think that a filter would have that effect.smile.gif Next time you hit a big a$$ double and the thing is empty - tell me how that turns out, because that is what happened to me! If you trail ride all the time then no prob, this filter will just BARELY keep up to what your giving it. BUT, the minute you throw in a small jump or a large jump, it WILL stutter on you. This may be nothing to some of you, but to me it is rather substantial. I was at a track the day before doing 80-90' doubles and triples with some nasty rythm sections thrown in, if it would have hiccuped on me one day sooner I would be in the hospital for sure. sad.gif