white smoke :o

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
JMaN05

#11 Post by JMaN05 »

it has only been sitting like a week or two

JMaN05

#12 Post by JMaN05 »

what clears this problem??

just let in run for a little WHILE? just leave it sit at idle for 10 mins??

it was fine for a second and then it started blowing the smoke..but then it kinda stopped...but i ddint wnat t otake the chance

azcannon

#13 Post by azcannon »

Our motors are full of little burrs , mostly aluminum and somewhat harmless but from time to time one will pass like a kidney stone through our front oil pump getting caught in the little check ball that directs oil and holds oil in the frame when the oil pump is not pumping. It can be easily cleaned when apart from engine but its job is to open when engine is running so it won't affect operation when running , and when it has a burr/flake of aluminum in it - it won't hold oil in the frame and cause the motor to hydrolock or fill with oil and when the piston is cranked over it will hit a ton of oil and flush it through the combustion chamber and run oil burned and unburned through the exhaust. turns the pipe yellow and black from oil but is relatively harmless just moniter your oil level and don't overfill .The oil will burn off at some point and be virtually non detectable and make a liar of you if you try and show someone later.
Its a good system just misunderstood , I believe after a rebuild and deburr of crankcase it doesnt do it nearly as much mainly stock motors.
You can also get white smoke from a cracked cylinder sleeve and its running coolant into combustion chamber and that doesnt seem to last long before motor detonates the rest of the way.
One last way is possibly a corroded valve cover letting coolant in engine oil and working through system but all the coolant way's will mix with your oil and turn it yucky cloudy/milky looking.

jesshamner

#14 Post by jesshamner »

Ride it around a little and see if the smoke clears. If it doesn't stop smoking, you should park it. But it should only take a few minutes. Two weeks is long enough to make it smoke at start up.

saltus440

#15 Post by saltus440 »

I just had the same thing happen. My bike sat for 2 1/2 weeks while waiting for parts. When I started it up it smoked for a bit but once I rode it for a couple minutes it went away.smile.gif

JMaN05

#16 Post by JMaN05 »

same with me, i was waiting for parts....thanks guys smile.gif

JMaN05

#17 Post by JMaN05 »

did it smoke a little bit with thick white smoke?? mine smoked and the nwent away at idle but as soon as i hit the throttle it did it but i turned it off because i had no i dea what was going on....but i will try to run it for a few minutes to see what happens and hopefully that will fix the problem...

KRMit

#18 Post by KRMit »

Mine did that and it really freaked me out. After someone explaining to me what it was I ran it up the driveway and back and it had cleared up. After your cylinder pumps the oil out it will still smoke for a little bit while it's burning the oil in the pipes.

saltus440

#19 Post by saltus440 »

i would just ride t for a few minutes to clear it out jman. just check your coolant and make sure it isn't that which is getting in and causing it. check the coolant before you go out and feel the hoses every now and then to make sure you still have enough and good flow or just check the surge tank since it is a quad. I have a bike so no bottle on it and i just felt my hoses. just relax and think about the problems with your machine. The easy problems you have had are not that bad compared to most peoples issues. When I got my bike I couldn't get it to run right for 4 months, it turned out to be that my D&M had corrupted cal files in it somehow. I had to send it to Optimum and they are going to figure it out and give a copy that works for me. Scooter is great, he helped me find the problem and is just awesome with customer service. just stay calm and think about it and you will get it, i know how frustrating these can be at times and I don't have a back up bike so when i am down I am begging for other peoples bikes :ride:

JMaN05

#20 Post by JMaN05 »

so you are saying, jsut make sure that it is getting coolent.