won't start.......

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
MyCannibal

won't start.......

#1 Post by MyCannibal »

hello fellow cannondaler's, atk'ers......i have a problem....
the last time i rode i failed to hook up my battery tender after my ride......needless to say yesterday when i went to start it, it would just click 1 time when i hit the start button. the click was coming from i think the solenoid....it's coming from the little black circle box next to the battery on the positive side. when i hit the start button i can feel it click inside this box.....so my question is is this my battery or my solenoid...im thinking i need a new battery but i wanted to get some opinions....thank you.:head:

cdrookie

#2 Post by cdrookie »

you need to charge the battery if it won't hold a charge get a new one. check the stator wires behind the flywheel also. they're known to burn through and the battery won't fully charge.

CannondaleRider

#3 Post by CannondaleRider »

You could probably just put it on a charger and be fine. Thats what they do when the battery is dead. Or have you already put it on a charger?

MyCannibal

#4 Post by MyCannibal »

yes...its on the tender right now.....battery is showing full charge til i hit the start button once it clicks one time then the tender shows that its charging....almost like i need a new battery...just wanted some opinions....if its the stator wires how do i get to them to check em....? Im thinking it's the battery though because its a year old and i forgot to put it on the tender after last ride....would the stator wires burn through just sitting in the shed...?.....like i said the click is coming from the little round black thing ( solenoid i think...) next to the positive side of the battery....it clicks once every time i hit the start button.........any suggetions on a new battery as to what kind...? i think im running a yxt9bs or something right now....thank you again for your replies....very helpful...

quadprorider

#5 Post by quadprorider »

Also check your starter, mine did the same thing until I changed the starter as it was bad.... The best battery to buy would be a yt12-a-bs it has more amps and will last longer. Good luck!

speed2424

#6 Post by speed2424 »

Wintersville,Ohio. I'm in Magnolia, Ohio about 45 miles away. After you get this thing running , we should get together & do some riding.

Also check your connections at the battery & on the starter.smile.gif

61austin

#7 Post by 61austin »

Take a screwdriver and put it across the two posts on the solenoid. If it turns over it is probably the solenoid, if it still doesn't do anything the problem would be with the battery, the connections, or the starter. I don't think it would be the stator because you said the tender stops charging after a while, and if there was a short in the stator it would be charging all the time.

kgd57

#8 Post by kgd57 »

check the start button.

kgd57:cool:

61austin

#9 Post by 61austin »

Originally posted by kgd57
check the start button.

kgd57:cool:

If the solenoid clicks then the start button has to work.

MyCannibal

thank you

#10 Post by MyCannibal »

thank you for all you guys's help and opinions.....i think it's the starter but im taking it to the local ATK shop just to be safe.....i think i tried to jump the solenoid and it didnt work...i'll try again though....i know a couple times i did hit the starter with the positive side of the battery tender and it sparked...as a matter of fact it turned over when i hit it....could i have fried it...?