Motor Rebuild Opinions

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Killer_Shee

Motor Rebuild Opinions

#1 Post by Killer_Shee »

Looking for some suggestions on what products to put in my 'Dale motor to make her as reliable as she can be. Since the rod bearing has failed on me, I am going to have Colby @ C&D do the rebuild for me. He suggested that I come here and gather some opinions on the parts to use in my rebuild. Basically I want to pros/cons of the Timbomoose crank versus the Falicon crank and I also want some suggestions of what to do for a piston and sleeve if in fact I do need them.

Happyboy

#2 Post by Happyboy »

pros and cons.....

pros--cheaper!
cons--maybe reliability...no failures yet so they may be the same.

oh, the only con on the timbo....there are 2 places to take height out on a stroker, the rod or the piston. Tim shaves the piston. So, if you trash your piston and sleeve you have to have your new piston shaved again. Falicon you don't.

chigger81

#3 Post by chigger81 »

I was in your position several months ago. I put in a timbo crank and New stock piston and sleeve. The other pistons and sleeves are pretty pricey and if you do have some sort of failure again, the piston and sleeve are likely to be trashed.
I cant speak for how well all my stuff works together cause mine isnt running yet. rolleyes.gif Also, you will want to do stage 8 on your cartrige plates, the motor mount update, and a better tranny drain plug if you havent. Have your motor guy check all the bearings in the low end of your motor. There are 4 that can cause some sucky problems. You might consider a sump magnet or a magnet somewhere in the line also.

Killer_Shee

#4 Post by Killer_Shee »

I pulled the clutch cover off, and there are already stage 8 fasteners on the cartridge and crank plate. I also bought a motor mount update kit from Timbomoose on Ebay and completed that along with the battery tray update prior to heading out to the dunes for the weekend. It does have the nylon savanger gears in it though, is that something that I should look into replacing?

J. Delaney

#5 Post by J. Delaney »

Are the Falicons even available yet? Their lack of avaliability seems to be a con.

I like the fact that Timbo's crank has a longer rod. That and you can call him up and get more info than you asked for!

kdeal

#6 Post by kdeal »

Originally posted by J. Delaney
Are the Falicons even available yet? Their lack of avaliability seems to be a con.

I like the fact that Timbo's crank has a longer rod. That and you can call him up and get more info than you asked for!

There are pros and cons to each set-up. Timbo's may have a longer rod, but require a machined piston. The Falicon's have a shorter rod to be able to use the stock piston height. Timbo prefers the longer rod (more leverage), and I don't blame him. His motors really scream. I like the stock piston / Falicon crank combo myself for long time use. But I also have a 465cc Timbo stroker motor as well, and one more in the works!!!!

smile.gif