Valve Cover Problem

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
dawzie

#11 Post by dawzie »

That stuff is called "Evans". I talked to them today. In the directions it said to use a "Evans Prep fluid". I asked them about that stuff. They said if you are sure there is NO old coolent in your system (must be 100% dry) that the prep is needed.

Mjollnir

#12 Post by Mjollnir »

Can anyone give us an idea of when this problem was fixed? drbowtie, do you know your bike's build date? Anyone with an updated cover know your build date or can you give the last three of your frame number?

Thanks!
marc

cannondale27

#13 Post by cannondale27 »

Just look at the valve cover if it is black you are ok.Cannondale made so many changes and there are so many combinations noone can give exact dates not even cannondale.I would still use the Evans Waterless Coolant just in case these black ones dont hold up either.

4punksdad

#14 Post by 4punksdad »

will antifreeze conditioner work to solve this problem? I know its recommended for jacketed diesel engines for the same reasons. available at any caterpillar dealer. they sell antifreeze with conditioner already added and the stuff is purple.

cannondale27

#15 Post by cannondale27 »

4punksdad,
I dont know a buddy of mine also suggested diesel antifreeze.I guess it is the water in the antifreeze that causes the problem its a chemical reaction.I used spectro premix and even that severly corroded mine.The Evans is supposedly waterless and even says that it will not react with magnesium.
Someone a couple months ago talked about making a anode to help with this problem.The big brass plug in the bottom of radiator would be a good spot to place a anode.Maybe zinc?This would force the corrosion to occur on anode instead of our motors.Just like the anode in a water heater.
If you find another coolant that specifies for magnesium let us know.Thanks

Jaybr

#16 Post by Jaybr »

I think the problem with an anode is that most of them are magnesium just like our valve covers. The corrosion problem is caused by a sort of electrolysis and magnesium is the most reactive metal in the system. That's why they use magnesium for anodes, it's more reactive than aluminum or iron. Not sure if there is anything more reactive we could use for an anode.

cannondale27

#17 Post by cannondale27 »

I think it was zinc that he talked about using.I will do a search for the post.

Jaybr

Evans NPG+ coolant

#18 Post by Jaybr »

Just ordered a gallon of NPG+ from Ken's Kustom Chassis in PA. They have it on sale for $20 gallon if anyone needs some.

atvrulz

#19 Post by atvrulz »

I heard Evans coolant will prevent the valve covers from corroding and causing problems.

Birddog5150

#20 Post by Birddog5150 »

Thanks to you guys, ordered some evans NPG+ today..smile.gif