no oil flow

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
quadman22

no oil flow

#1 Post by quadman22 »

the bikes runs but i have NO oil flow when i look into the spar. i took the cluthc cover off and turned the motor over and all the oil pump gears worked so i know thats not the problem. also i took the oil filter out and turned the motor over and very little oil shot out of that rod. so how come im not having any oil flow? whats tests can i do? this is so frustrating!!!!!!:mad: :mad:

Canniboomer

#2 Post by Canniboomer »

The gears and shafts rotating does not mean that the pumps are rotating -- an internal pump pin may be sheared. You could disconnect the long vertical scavenge hose where it returns to frame, and test that with some known oil volume still down below.

Inlet filter plugged?, next easiest check, but in that case like a failed oilfilter pump, the oil would accumulate in the spars and starve the motor sump. Draining the oil to see where it is will give some clues.

Happyboy

#3 Post by Happyboy »

Quadman, you should have added more than 1 qt to it when you changed the oil. Chris just told me you said you only added 1 qt back. An oil change will be about 1.5 qt but you just keep adding till its full. If you are bad low you won't see it flowing.

Happyboy

#4 Post by Happyboy »

Change that....this is the motor that had sludge in the frame?

Drop the motor and do a complete flush of hte system. That includes the frame. It sounds like you have something jamming up the works man. Not worth the risk.

wistech

#5 Post by wistech »

Pull the inlet line off the back of the engine and see if oil will flow from the spar out . This will tell you if the frame is plugged up. It should pour out very fast. Get a bucket. If the frame is clean then reinstall the hose and refill the frame with oil. Remove the oil filter cover and filter. Start the engine for a few seconds. If no oil pumps out the cover then you main oil pump has sheared the tiny pin or the counterbalance shaft is snapped.

The scavange pump is easy to check also. Pour about half a quart into the starter clutch vent fitting. Reassemble and start the engine. It should pump that oil into the frame within 20 seconds.

quadman22

#6 Post by quadman22 »

i put enough oil in... i put a little over 1.5 quarts. i pulled the hose that comes off the inlet and oil came shooting out. perfectly clean. what now? what else can i test w/o dropping?

quadman22

#7 Post by quadman22 »

how much would someone give me for this? if this costs any money to fix i cant do it. it will have to sit til sometime this winter. im going to school in less than a month and have no money saved because i've put about $1k into this engine alone to get it running. im tired of this BS!

Happyboy

#8 Post by Happyboy »

Hey, just want to clear something up. We are only getting bits and pieces of the story here. From what Chris has told me you had little to no oil flow and then tried to drain from the clutch side spar. Nothing came out. He said you guys then stuck a metal wire up in there and sludge came out. Just from that you should have known something wasn't right and drained/flushed everything. Doing something halfway will only bring more problems and cost more money. Sounds like something has gotton clogged up.

Did the crank go on this before or something? Where did all the sludge come from?

quadman22

#9 Post by quadman22 »

that was chris and mike that found the sludge. i havent seen any sludge yet so i dont even know 100% wht its going to look like. this sludge came form the xxxxxx hack job MORON that owned the bike b4 me. he never changed the oil it looks like

quadman22

#10 Post by quadman22 »

the crank never went either. when i assembled this motor there was no oil in it because it is a brand new case if that helps.