motor hours

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
rubicon20032003

motor hours

#1 Post by rubicon20032003 »

I kid that just started working where i work.Has a 2002 speed with the unicorn cased motor.Said he has over 300 hours on it.It has no updates.it sure looks like it has that many.Did anyone ever here of a motor without updates lasting that long.He say amsoil and changing filter every 20 hours keep it together?

CptHook

#2 Post by CptHook »

I believe jaybr and a few others on here also are running completely stock motors with hours in the three digit range that are still running like clockwork as well. Chime in guys!

Happyboy

#3 Post by Happyboy »

There are alot of motors out there that run great with high hours. Its just like cars, there are some of every brand that last for 200k and there are those that are lemons. Its the average # that everyone is always arguing about, not the extremes.

At that many hours though you gotta wonder what the top end looks like. sad.gif

And I hate to say this, but how many people actually know how many hours they really put on? Many kids blow out their numbers big time. Not saying he is a liar, but you need to keep in mind people's answers on hours aren't facts.

kdeal

#4 Post by kdeal »

What's funny is when Yamaha brought out the YFZ motored bikes they advised going thru the topend and replacing parts every 50 hours!! Most people just laughed because most of their previous bikes lasted 100s of hours before failure & without a strict maintenence plan. When the hybrid 4 strokes started coming out, with their high strung nature, the maintenence schedule was changed dramatically. Not just Cannondale, Honda & Yamaha as well. I expect the same from the new Suzuki as well.

rubicon20032003

#5 Post by rubicon20032003 »

I'll have to take a pic of it.The stems has been bent so many times.He doesn't have a computer and didn't no anything about updates.He said once it blows i can have it.Its really a peice of work to see.must have a bag of zipey ties holding fenders together.He didn't even no were to buy parts anymore except oil filters.I won't give $250 for it.It is so rigged up its funny.Maybe it held together since its all stock? I just thought it was pretty amazing since I have had problems with mine to?I gave him my stock a-arms with new ball joints so it should handle like a vette now compared to what he had

bknight

#6 Post by bknight »

smile.gif let me know ill give $250 for it smile.gif

yamadjs08

#7 Post by yamadjs08 »

I think that I read that the time period that the unicorn cased motors were built were the best motors from the factory...?

cannondale27

#8 Post by cannondale27 »

Yup grab that quad and run with it.
Kdeal the Suzuki 450 bike teardown interval is 15hrs!I know many who have run much longer than that but I also know of one that only made about 3 races.It can be a expensive game we are in now with ALL the new fourstrokes.

Exodus

#9 Post by Exodus »

I can attest that I have an 02 stock motor with an honest 200 hrs. Derno can testify to this, it was originally owned by him. Its been disassembled twice, but has never had anything replaced but gaskets and o rings. I advanced the cams and made sure the trans plate bolts were tight last winter. That is the only thing that has ever been done to it. The cams are still in spec, not by much, but they are. I've looked at the bore with a bore scope and it looks like it is brand new. This motor has had amsoil in it ever since I bought it, and changed religously every 4 hrs. So its possible to run a motor that long, I just wish I had an hr meter on it with the original hrs so I knew exactly how many, but I know I put on 60 since I have bought it.

Craig_C

#10 Post by Craig_C »

Over 1000!!!!