cable to hydro

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
250rmike

cable to hydro

#1 Post by 250rmike »

how hard is it to convert a cable clutch motor to a hyrdo clutch. my last bike ahd a hydro clutch and it spoiled me i dont think i can ever go back to a cable clutch on any bike

kdeal

#2 Post by kdeal »

If we are talking about a Cannondale motor. it's not too hard. I have seen several done by the factory (Unicorn motors), I have seen a few on here, and Timbo did one for me a while back as well.

bpoppapumpd

#3 Post by bpoppapumpd »

i was thinking the same thing. but what kinda $ will i be needing to do the conv.?

kdeal

#4 Post by kdeal »

Give Timbo a call. Be patient, he has had alot of work lately.

cdrider02

#5 Post by cdrider02 »

It's not too bad but you do need to have the engine disassembled with the two transmission bearings removed from the case. You will also need to do a little machining and have the capability to weld the aluminum case, but this doesn't involve anything that has to be super precise.

kdeal

#6 Post by kdeal »

Here's one somebody did on here.

rubicon20032003

#7 Post by rubicon20032003 »

kdeal

How do you tell if you got a factory one done on a unicorn or someone did it? I just got my unicorn motor last week its hydro

Exodus

#8 Post by Exodus »

Theres two types of cases. One is the old style cast, I believe, and the other is the SSM. The later one is a weaker case has had a few problems. When someone says they have a unicorn case, that means they have the old style cast case with a hydro clutch. The unicorns are a little different looking because they were converted at the Cannondale factory. The have machine marks on the side of the case. BTW, they are pretty rare cases and the most expensive.

If you look at the magura "jack" style hydro clutches, like what you would use on a banshee or blaster, I'm pretty sure they will work on a Cannondale. They use an external piston instead of the internal "hymen" on stock Cannondales. Timbo could be cheaper, but if you find a jack style Magura cheap, it might be the ticket.

rubicon20032003

#9 Post by rubicon20032003 »

My case is just like kdeals with a hyro setup on it.No cannondale on it

kdeal

#10 Post by kdeal »

Who cares who did it? You got a stong case and the advantage of the factory style hydro clutch. Bolt it in and ride it.

:ride: :dance: