Hot start causes

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Easy E

#11 Post by Easy E »

Is that 8% reading with a warm or cold engine? At cold start while the IACV is still going through it's cycle the TPS % is quite high - I think mine are in that range, but lower to 3.9% after the stepper is at 205. The TPS is simple to test as it's merely a rotary potentiometer. Download the EFI troubleshooting manual here:

http://www.cannondaler.com/manuals.php

Zerotact

#12 Post by Zerotact »

lean it out how?
Flow rate, or offset?
On the dyno it was running 13% at 2200 idle

cannondale27

#13 Post by cannondale27 »

Like ****** said.When you start leaning out the offset you will then need to turn idle down to keep it at 2200 this allows you to get the 4%.As long as you arent stroked or ported this will make your quad run its best and start correctly.If you are stroked or ported the amount you need to adjust offset causes the entire range low,mid and high to go lean or rich depending on which way you go.

Zerotact

#14 Post by Zerotact »

what I meant was 13:1 AFR at 2200 idle, and throttle position of about 8%
So, I mean I have everything I needed to be at except the 4% throttle position..

wanablaze

#15 Post by wanablaze »

I think what they are trying to tell you is that 13:1 may be too rich for idle. I believe that 13:1 is ideal for WOT and being on the gas, however I don't think it should be 13:1 on decel. I could be wrong, probably am.

Zerotact

#16 Post by Zerotact »

Hrmm
Mine's an '05 ATK 450MX motorcycle, with a stock engine (440cc) It runs good when it's lit but If I stall out It take a bit to get her lit up. I'm running a stock ATK XC map. I wounder if the lack of 10 c's is hurting my situation.

cannondale27

#17 Post by cannondale27 »

****** are you going to group ride?Should be able to come up with something there.I have some things to try and Tim has some maps also.Maybe with looking at all of the different settings it will help to come up with a good base map.There is another factor to throw in.With strokers we are right at or maybe over the max flow and duty cycle of the injectors.Supposedly they are at 60% stock which leaves 40%.Well stock is around 40hp and strokers are around 50hp.Lots of experimenting left too do.

fig

#18 Post by fig »

What about the setting that squirts gas prior to cranking the motor (I forget the correct name for it). Could the cycle for that be increased to richen it up for starting, after it starts the bike would retain whatever mixture you have is set for.

Have you done a throttle cal lately to see if that help's the throttle position?

The stepper valve richens up the motor on cold start, is there any way to have the stepper work on all starts?

The problem used to be my bike is too rich, now the problem is my bike is too lean.

What a PITA.

Good luck

cannondale27

#19 Post by cannondale27 »

Stepper valve leans the mixture on start up.Which is reason if throttle% is too high you lose most of the fast idle on start up since throttle plat is open so far all that air is getting by it which is exactly what the IACV does.(bypasses throttleplate and creates a big air leak)

****** that is odd.Those settings are lean even for a stocker.Did you change maps also?Map may be too rich if its a stroker map all that I have are at least.

Derno24

#20 Post by Derno24 »

This is an interesting topic as it is covering alot of what I was getting at with the top end. Now just to have some fun with everyone. I would think it is more important to get the 3.5%. It may be too lean or too rich, but on the 12 hr quad it fires very fast even when stalled and I think it is way too lean on the low end. Only thing is when first starting cold takes a bunch of priming to get her going.