R+S 5th gear set

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
fx25

R+S 5th gear set

#1 Post by fx25 »

Anybody running the new 5th gear set from R+S? I will be ordering a set on mon. was curious as how big of a change in gear ratio.

TurboJay

#2 Post by TurboJay »

Kyle told me that it would be a happy medium of what we have now from 4th to 5th and would only lose about 3mph on top end. Said it should pull on the straights a lot better.

Mine dogs in 5th then hits hard about the time I get to the end of the straight and have to turn. Never gets a chance to show top end on the track.

Wish I would have left my motor down an extra month so I had them now. Will probably try to get through the season first.

Hope this helped a little bit,
Jason

fx25

#3 Post by fx25 »

Is R+S open on mon.? Tried calling all day no answer, try again today.

When I changed my gearing to 14/43 [3.08] I could feel a gap between 4th and 5th. but it smoothed out the bot. end alot. So this should put the top end back where it was,good.

With a whole lot of luck I hope to find out on sat. lots of pieces on the bench!

LapTraffic

#4 Post by LapTraffic »

Whats the charge for their gearing? Is it a casset?

Cool. I run 14/42 Dont notice a huge gap when Im play riding but havent used 5th a lot in races.

fx25

#5 Post by fx25 »

The gearset is shown on their website its like 285.00 for two gears one for the mainshaft one for the countershaft. You have to pull the trans out and put these gears on.

I do not feel a bog unless I'm short shifting to fifth and I wouldn't change them if I didn't already have my trans. out and apart.

Another day and I still can't seem to get through to R+S

TurboJay

#6 Post by TurboJay »

I went over there after work and couldn't even get in the lot. He has been swamped. You might try faxing him. Just let him know your # and what you need. that will probably be your best bet.

He got some other gears in also and he can let you know what you need. They are lighter than stock but not sure how much. They look very nice.

Jason

wyndzer

#7 Post by wyndzer »

I talked w/ Kyle and he told me Suzie has been sick and he has been swamped. So be patient.

Sandstorm

#8 Post by Sandstorm »

So whats involved w/ the changing of the gears?? Can I do it?? Any testimonials on how it pulls vs stock gears?? I want to get from point A to B as fast as I can and don't need 75mph..

fx25

#9 Post by fx25 »

Having changed this gear set I can tell that it is easier than a 250r to work on. The manual has a very good breakdown of the gear set you will need some small external snap ring pliers as one the snaprings on mine had very small holes. Is it worth it, depends on what your doing. For xc where there are no long straights it works but I am running a 14-43 gear so first is taller and 5th. is about stock. For sand I will put on a 15 and launch from first and shift fast.

Sandstorm

#10 Post by Sandstorm »

Bump, just looking for more testimonials..