Moto won't start

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
fixthedale

Moto won't start

#1 Post by fixthedale »

I have a Cannondale Moto that won't start. It quit running at the end of a 2 hour motocross practice and wouldn't restart. It wasn't running hot or anything. It just died. Replaced the plug, old one was black, checked for spark and it is nice and blue, fuel is flowing back into the gas tank, wiring seems to be all intact. Engine turns over and backfires occasionally. It actually started once and ran really well, we let it idle a few minutes and then it died and hasn't started since.

speed2424

#2 Post by speed2424 »

I was thinking the same thing.

kbrown

#3 Post by kbrown »

probably flywheel, Ive spun 1 one time and it just wouldnt start. Try to get a fixed one and it should be good....100bucks

cdalerider75

#4 Post by cdalerider75 »

Contact happyboy... 50$ you should be up and running... well that is if your old flywheel is still fine... might just be the woodruff key

gimpala63n70

#5 Post by gimpala63n70 »

Effin Flywheels! lol. Yeah paid 65 for mine a 13 for puller from black widow..Ill let you know if its good stuff if i ever get it! So far apart shipping takes long:confused:

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

I know Brad went to Vegas but I would say that something may have happened to your shipment because Brad has been 100%reliable and fast as far as shipping goes.Might want to contact him.

fixthedale

#7 Post by fixthedale »

I checked the key on the flywheel and it appears to be in the right position. The flywheel does have a couple of little cracks in it. I am going to call Blackwidow tomorrow and see if I can get one rushed in here. Can the flywheel still be the problem even if the key is lined up right?

We also checked the injectors and puffs of gas mist are coming out when we crank it over.

The time we got it to start was after it was tipped up while we were greasing fittings. Don't know if this was a coincidence or not. When the quad first quit running we were at practice and it started to bog a little on the bottom end and got to where it wouldn't run at all. It sounds like timing, like it fires at the wrong point in the stroke.

fixthedale

#8 Post by fixthedale »

We didn't pull the flywheel yet. No puller. The nut was not loose at all. I want to go ahead and replace the flywheel because it is cracked. Also it has been repaired before. Will a new flywheel from blackwidow be likely to be a piece of crap?

61austin

#9 Post by 61austin »

You might check your oil filter for shavings also. I don't wish this on anybody but those are also symptoms of a rod bearing failure.

wistech

#10 Post by wistech »

Kinda sounds like the right crank bearing but that is only common on the fx400 engines and ones with ball bearing cranks. Grab the flywheel and check for radial play. There should be very little if any. Any diagnostic code? Does the engine turn over easily by hand ? Has it ever locked up.