starter problems

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
arens310r

starter problems

#1 Post by arens310r »

My starter is not engaging , it just spins ,battery has full charge,& ,it is not the flywheel because i can move the engine to any position. I think the starter is bad, anyone else have this problem?

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Starter one-way is probably shot.Make sure its just not a bad starter gear by pulling starter and looking.Starter clutch can only be changed by pulling motor and taking counterbalancer out.Question.Did you recently pull start it?

arens310r

stater

#3 Post by arens310r »

No i have not. I first notice it & it would engage when I tried bumping the starter button a few times. Now it just gotten worse. I will pull the starter & check it out.

arens310r

#4 Post by arens310r »

Starter works good but the starter clutch just spins with the starter. can you pull the starter clutch out ,no bolts holding it in that i can see.

rubicon20032003

#5 Post by rubicon20032003 »

Its probably the oneway bearing then.You'll need a complete tear down to put it in.I had the same thing happen to me.See if the gear behind the starter clutch spins both ways its the the its the oneway bearings sho.You can juet pull the starter clutch out by hand

Canniboomer

#6 Post by Canniboomer »

If the starter clutch is not moving the gear, I could maybe do you a trade deal for a working unit.... send a pic of the clutch shaft at the cover end with the inside of cover also shown, so I know which version you have, and can check here.
pacrimdm@msn.com

wistech

#7 Post by wistech »

The one way is easy to check .Pull the starter clutch out and see if the one way spins only one way. If it spins easliy both ways. then its engine pull time. Its to bad they didnt incorporate the one way into the starter clutch for easy removal. But if you havent done the updates yet its perfect timing.

arens310r

#8 Post by arens310r »

Ya it spins both ways , sometimes it spins the engine to start but then it won't start back. Is this a high dollar fix?

wistech

#9 Post by wistech »

High dollar? . If you do it yourself ,no. If you send it out you will get a full teardown and rebuild charge. Thats why I say you should do all the updates and kill the flock of birds with one stone.
The little spring that keeps the rollers in the starter one way held against the shaft usually breaks and thats why it wont lock on for starting. That part Ill bet only costs about 25 cents but is the last thing you get to when disasembling a motor.

arens310r

#10 Post by arens310r »

Thanks for all the help.