Moto won't start

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
fixthedale

#21 Post by fixthedale »

Originally posted by Canniboomer
...While the flywheel was off, did you check those wires behind the stator for possible chafing or no shielding update??  That problem can weaken the battery by the end of the day, and the next day it may only crank strong enough to foul the plug -- then you charge the battery back up, and it still won't start because of the fouled plug -- a vicious circle!   It can all begin with a low stator output.

I pulled one off recently and found the 3 yellow wires were pinched so tightly together that they had fused into one, and the copper wires were touching in places -- for the same symptoms you describe.  

Short of pulling the flywheel again, you can at least check for charging voltage across the battery terminals while running -- IFF you get it running!  fun fun these beasts.

I didn't check behind the stator. I will pull the flywheel again today and take a look. This thing seems really hard on the battery. We have been charging it every night.

cannondale27

#22 Post by cannondale27 »

Not blaming you for anything but flyweel,throttlebody clamps and lack of a D&M make it hard to help you out.

fixthedale

#23 Post by fixthedale »

Originally posted by cannondale27
Not blaming you for anything but flyweel,throttlebody clamps and lack of a D&M make it hard to help you out.

Well, we have only had this a month and are having to learn as we go. Like I said D&M should be here by Wednesday. We are maintaining the quad the best we know how. We just have a lot to learn and anything I can do better I want to know about.

Thanks.

gimpala63n70

#24 Post by gimpala63n70 »

Hey, Im having the same symtoms in my cannibal, except i havent checked this "intake boot" thats being spoke of, is this is one under the airbox that connects to the carb like thing, or the on that connects the carb like thing to the engine? i may wanna check, and clean it because i just found out when i rode it in the rain/mud, the airbox clamp popped off leaving the carb like thing exposed. now it is just backfiring through the carb like thing, and only starts with dry gas, and when that runs out it stalls.

61austin

#25 Post by 61austin »

Originally posted by gimpala63n70
Hey, Im having the same symtoms in my cannibal, except i havent checked this "intake boot" thats being spoke of, is this is one under the airbox that connects to the carb like thing, or the on that connects the carb like thing to the engine? i may wanna check, and clean it because i just found out when i rode it in the rain/mud, the airbox clamp popped off leaving the carb like thing exposed. now it is just backfiring through the carb like thing, and only starts with dry gas, and when that runs out it stalls.

The intake boots need to be tight on both sides of the throttle body, but the one below the throttle body is the one that is most critical.

cannondale27

#26 Post by cannondale27 »

This one has similar symptoms.Check out this thread also.
http://www.cannondaleriders.com/vbb/showth...&threadid=14073

fixthedale

#27 Post by fixthedale »

ok i got a d&m and i leaned this thing down. i started at a flow rate of 2300 (that is where it was originally when i bought it) and moved it in increments of 50 as far as 2450 and it won't start. i got it to start at 2300 but it fouled the plug and died. do you think there is more i need to do? are these adjustments too large? what does the injector offset do and what adjustments should be made to it? I also did a throttle cal.

cannondale27

#28 Post by cannondale27 »

Is your battery fully charged?Did you check for stator update.Unless battery is fully charged and charging it wont run right.In the monitor mode on D&M it shows battery voltage.What is it while running and not running.

Derno24

#29 Post by Derno24 »

I would start with a Throttle recal first then set your injector offset. Then you can worry about the flowrate. 150 is a decent sized jump.

fixthedale

#30 Post by fixthedale »

Originally posted by wistech
Kinda sounds like the right crank bearing but that is only common on the fx400 engines and ones with ball bearing cranks.  Grab the flywheel and check for radial play. There should be very little if any.  Any diagnostic code?  Does the engine turn over easily by hand ? Has it ever locked up.

This engine is apart and the right crank bearing is out! What a great call! I have one on the way and I will put this thing back together this weekend. New bearing, crank with z400 bearings, new oil scavenger pump gears, new piston kit and some other external misc. parts replaced. Hope it goes well.