Problem running?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
jshort

Problem running?

#1 Post by jshort »

I have a problem. My dale will start and idle for about a minute and then die. If you try to give it gas it will also die. I looked in the gas tank and the return gas line has gas going into the tank when it starts up but then quits. I am not sure how long it is suppose to return gas into the tank on startup. How do you tell if it is pumping enough gas from the tank? Like I said, it will start and idle for about one min. but will die once you try to use the throtle.
Thanks for any ideas and help.
Jason

iceracer17

#2 Post by iceracer17 »

It should be returning fuel to the tank all the time when it's running.Look at your filter to see if it is still passing through before it quits.

comander420

#3 Post by comander420 »

check your injector wires to make sure they are on, tug on them

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

Also have you done a throttle cal recently?

jshort

#5 Post by jshort »

OK, I started it up and watched what little fuel was in the filter get pumped out. I dont think it is getting fuel from the tank. Maybe just a little. While it idles it pumps the filter dry and then dies out. I checked the quick connect and it seems to snap in place easily. Any ideas?

Jason

61austin

#6 Post by 61austin »

Sounds like a swollen o-ring in the female side of the quick disconnect to me.

jesshamner

#7 Post by jesshamner »

Originally posted by jshort
OK, I started it up and watched what little fuel was in the filter get pumped out. I dont think it is getting fuel from the tank. Maybe just a little. While it idles it pumps the filter dry and then dies out. I checked the quick connect and it seems to snap in place easily. Any ideas?

Jason

When you say that it pumps the filter dry, do you mean that it drains the filter and then there is a trickle of fuel as long as its running? Or do you mean once the filter is empty, no more fuel is traveling through. The filter will drain itself after you start the engine and then the fuel flows through it. It's not supposed to be full while the motor is running.

jshort

#8 Post by jshort »

It looks like maybe a little gas runs down the side of thefiler but you can hardly notice it. Also, when you look into the tank while it is running the return gas line pumps fuel into the tank for just a couple seconds after you first start and then it quits. Not long after that it will die out. It will also die out if you try to give it any throtle.

Jason

jesshamner

#9 Post by jesshamner »

Change the filter if you haven't, check the fuel lines and make sure they aren't kinked. Check your injector plugs.

jshort

#10 Post by jshort »

Well, I feel a little dumb. The return quick connect had worked itself loose somehow (I think it is showing some wear). I re-connected and it fired right up and everything is good again.
Thanks to all.

Jason