need help?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
jshort

need help?

#1 Post by jshort »

I am trying to drop my engine and need help. I have everything disconected except for the exhaust. What are the nuts holding the exhaust to the head? Where can I get a tool to remove them? Other than this, I think I am in good shape as far a droping the engine. It will be a different story when it comes time to put it back together. I don't think I will ever get the correct placement of all the hoses and wires. Good Luck!

Thanks,
Jason

kdeal

#2 Post by kdeal »

There are several options to removing those pesky nuts. The actual size is 8mm with a 12-point socket. Sears sells one in their cheap tool line (green label). A 5/16" 12-point will work as well. When you get those rascals off, give Brad a call for some cool replacemements.

Psychosis

Re: need help?

#3 Post by Psychosis »

Originally posted by jshort
I am trying to drop my engine and need help. I have everything disconected except for the exhaust. What are the nuts holding the exhaust to the head? Where can I get a tool to remove them? Other than this, I think I am in good shape as far a droping the engine. It will be a different story when it comes time to put it back together. I don't think I will ever get the correct placement of all the hoses and wires. Good Luck!

Thanks,
Jason

Believe it or not, I think the easiest part of the installation when you're putting it back in is the hoses. As long as you either have pictures of a good memory that is. I always have problems getting them back in, but eventually I get it. Good luck w/it. It's nowhere near as hard as you think to mess w/these engines, but still a challenge IMO.

kstevens

#4 Post by kstevens »

if it is an exhaust nut .....wouldnt it be a "hot" replacement:)

Brad Oakley

#5 Post by Brad Oakley »

If you want to really get me hot... Just charge way too much for something. If you want that particular 12 point nut, they'll run you $10.76 EACH - that's $43.04 for a set of four! Now I researched that original nut and found prices ranging between $5.50 and $6.50 COST for the part. It is a special-application aircraft nut designed to work in 1200 degree temperatures. That's about twice as hot as it gets there!It also has a small flange, and there is nothing to keep it from seizing to the stud!

So... what did I finally locate? It's a SIX point nut. Takes a 10mm socket. It has a generous flange - both to hold the exhaust flange on, and to not slide down inside your socket when you're trying to install them. It has a three-point aircraft crimp on top so it won't vibrate loose, and they're COPPER COATED to help prevent seizing on the stud!

Best of all---- I can sell you a set of 4 nuts for only $5.00! That's right - all four for less than half the price of one of the old ones. As kdeal said:"cool replacements."

cannondale27

#6 Post by cannondale27 »

Man Brad you need to list everything you have over there.It would save on shipping since I end up getting at least one of everything you come up with it seems:clap: Send 8 of those my way please.

Brad Oakley

#7 Post by Brad Oakley »

We're in the process of moving to our new shop. This will give us room for offices, a parts and shipping area, a clean (engine assembly) room, a machine tools room, and, of course, a dyno room!

As part of the move, we'll be photographing every part we carry - which will then be posted on our re-built website.

All I need is two weeks of 36 hour days and I'll get it done!

Steve - I'll drop 8 nuts in a padded envelope and head them your way!

Derno24

#8 Post by Derno24 »

Originally posted by Brad Oakley
Steve - I'll drop 8 nuts in a padded envelope and head them your way!

Brad you really need to read things before you post them!

Brad Oakley

#9 Post by Brad Oakley »

You're just jealous because you don't have 8 padded nuts to go along with your head - or something like that.

Get your mind out of my gutter - there ain't enough room for the both of us!

CannondaleRider

#10 Post by CannondaleRider »

sad.gif
I just keep finding stuff to add to my order left and right.

Could I get 8 of those also:deal:

Thanks Brad