Replace clutch??

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
cdalerider75

Replace clutch??

#1 Post by cdalerider75 »

The last plate has a bent tab... replace the clutch plate? how does this happen?

Happyboy

#2 Post by Happyboy »

Lots of times that happens when drag raced. This differs from when you and Derno race in Drag. sad.gif

You can just swap the last plate out with the first if the last plate isn't too damaged...which the pic looks ok.

claas900

#3 Post by claas900 »

..the basket does it, its "rounded" there thats why it does it..To help stop it put an extra steal plate in there to space it away from the basket.

cannondale27

#4 Post by cannondale27 »

Also that is the older 9 disc design which is thinner.I like the 9 disc but you do have to keep an eye on it and rotate.I think that first one should be thrown out it is bent pretty far.Usually a edge is kicked up and that is when you rotate discs bending like it is I just wouldnt trust it anymore.

wistech

#5 Post by wistech »

you dont need a whole clutch. Just rotate the friction to the front and/or get one more steel disc in the bottom of the pack. You dont need to pull the engine down to check it . Just remove the tranny fill cap and look at it with a flashlight.

wanablaze

#6 Post by wanablaze »

Are the specs you have for the old or new clutch plates? There are two types, as posted above. Ensure that you are comparing apples to apples.

Personally, I'd just rotate the plates and run them till they're gone!tongue.gif

azcannon

#7 Post by azcannon »

Originally posted by wanablaze
Are the specs you have for the old or new clutch plates?  There are two types, as posted above.  Ensure that you are comparing apples to apples.  

Personally, I'd just rotate the plates and run them till they're gone!tongue.gif

Ditto

saltus440

Re: Re: Replace clutch??

#8 Post by saltus440 »

Originally posted by Stunz
Now I need a clutch...when does this end?

My last plate has the exact same bend. I also measured the friction plates and they are below specifications.

Friction plates = 2.5mm

The springs are good for a little bit longer.
Springs = 42mm

Who had clutch plates for sale?
I need 9.

If you got the spec for the friction plate thickness out of the c-dale manual it is for the new thicker plates. It is the wrong spec for the ones you have and yours still might be good. Call brad @ blackwidow he knows the right spec for the old frictions that you have. He also has the new clutch sets with the 8 frictions that is thicker. I believe he was selling sets with frictions, steels and springs for 110 but don't quote me on that.

GMAK

#9 Post by GMAK »

every tab on my last clutch plate isnt bent pretty bad. i just rotated it to the front. do i need new clutch plates soon? i think they've been their since '02

Brad Oakley

#10 Post by Brad Oakley »

Okay - Here goes...

In the original set-up, Cannondale used 9 friction and 10 pressure disks. The friction disks were about 2.3mm thick. Because the thin plates caused the tabs to bend - as seen in the photo - Cannondale then went to a 2.8mm thick friction disk. The extra .5mm per plate is why the new set-up only has 8 frictions and 9 pressure plates.

However - with the switch, the clutch springs ended up not being strong enough to keep the new arrangement (8 and 9) from slipping, so they went with a heavier spring. If you switch to the thicker plates, you will need to replace your springs.

Now for the shameless plug...

I have the thicker friction discs for only $7.25 each ($58.00 for the set of 8,) the steel pressure discs for $2.50 ($22.50 for the set of 9) and the stronger springs; $51.26 for the set of six. $131.76 will replace everything.

(877) 302-9288