necessary updates

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
myEXgotstolen

necessary updates

#1 Post by myEXgotstolen »

hola, i'm getting an 02 cannibal, but it has no updates. what updates are necessary in your opinions, and what is a good idea to change, but isn't really a necessity?? also, where can i order parts to do the updates, and for how much? thanks, and feel free to suggest anything else that may help. smile.gif

speed2424

updates

#2 Post by speed2424 »

Some of the updates are- oil line update-25.00,motor mount-20.00 update,stator wire update-10.00,fuel line rerouting 5.00,stage eight kit-100.00.Heres a start with some of the updates .smile.gif

myEXgotstolen

#3 Post by myEXgotstolen »

thanks. do you know where i can order the parts to do those updates? anyone else know any other updates to be done?

Happyboy

Re: necessary updates

#4 Post by Happyboy »

Originally posted by myEXgotstolen
no updates.  what updates are necessary in your opinions

Well, I would do the ones that speed2424 listed and then add a few more. Getting a bone stock dale is usually cheap enough to allow you to go ahead and get the updates done and you are still well below what you would spend on any other quad of its caliber.

Inside the motor would be
stage 8--100
z400 bearing on crank--?? depends on if crank is still good (only know once crank is pressed apart)
shift shaft spacer--10
shim the valve springs--5

and while you have the valves out go ahead and get one of the guys here to port the head. lots of power up there for the taking.

short air box funnel--20

FYI, these are my personal updates. Some peeps don't agree with them being considered necessary but I have seen and heard of too many problems to not add them to my PERSONAL list.

banzairx7

#5 Post by banzairx7 »

I'd say if you have the motor out doing the stud update replacing the valve cover is a good idea. Especially since this bike has been sitting for 3yrs+ with the original coolant in it. The magnesium one will rot away. Now that you can get aluminum ones you can solve that problem.

kdeal

Re: necessary updates

#6 Post by kdeal »

hola, i'm getting an 02 cannibal, but it has no updates.  what updates are necessary in your opinions, and what is a good idea to change, but isn't really a necessity?? also, where can i order parts to do the updates, and for how much? thanks, and feel free to suggest anything else that may help. smile.gif

The guys have it pretty much covered here. I would think that if you do an updated crank rod bearing (Z400) that the stage 8 bolt kit may not be needed. When I first got my bike, I went thru the factory tech, service, & parts bulletins first and printed out each one that applied to my particular bike. Some of these updates only affect models prior to a certain serial number, so have yours handy when reviewing these bulletins. The only ones I question are any related to the crank issues (ei: crank plate stud update). I believe the Z400 bearing to be a better permanent fix. The new aluminum valve covers are definitely high on the list, possibly a aluminum water pump impeller, and eyeball the decomp lever assembly for fit and function. I believe that should cover any motor updates or upgrades in some cases.

Good Luck & Welcome.

speed2424

#7 Post by speed2424 »

thanks. do you know where i can order the parts to do those updates? anyone else know any other updates to be done?

I have the oil line,motor mount, & the stator line kits here. OR you can get them from most of the sponsors here on the site.smile.gif

banzairx7

#8 Post by banzairx7 »

www.blackwidowatv.com

Has the valve covers. You can also try them for the other parts.

haydug cycles is another good place to try.

http://www.haydugcycles.com/

I would give both a call. They have wya more than what is listed on their websites.

myEXgotstolen

Re: Re: updates

#9 Post by myEXgotstolen »

Originally posted by ******
I'd do these and add to it an aluminum valve cover.

One question...Why go with a completly stock unupdated one? there are plenty of updated ones for sale out there for great prices like dirts moto $4000 for an updated moto is a great price.

i'm going with this one because although its been sitting, its got 2 hours on the entire machine, and hes selling for 1500. also, i love mechanical stuff, so i can't wait to start taking it all apart (and hopefully get it back together:( smile.gif )thanks for all the suggestions.... keep em coming!! thanks again...:clap:

cannondale27

#10 Post by cannondale27 »

I came up with Stage 8 kit and after alot of research have found that the real reason behind bolts and nuts falling out was just plain lack of Loctite or contaminated Loctite from factory.Now if you dont trust yourself to Loctite EVERY SINGLE BOLT AND NUT correctly get the kit.Otherwise save the money and get a properly built crank,Kibblewhite valvesprings/fully inspected head and maybe some porting.