Problem with a leak?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
jshort

Problem with a leak?

#1 Post by jshort »

I just got done installing my motor after putting on a new valve cover. I now have an antifreeze leak coming from the bottom of my impeller cover. It slowly drips from what looks like a small hole (weep hole?) on the bottom side of the cover. Does anyone know why this would be leaking and how I can get it to stop?

It is the self bleeding cover in case this matters.

Thanks for your help in advance!
Jason

tat

#2 Post by tat »

Replace the seal behind the impellar.

jshort

#3 Post by jshort »

Are you talking about the seal on the impellar cover or the little seal behind the impellar itself. I have already replaced the little round seal that goes on the shaft behind the impellar.

Jason

tat

#4 Post by tat »

That should have cleared it up. Did you have the valve cover off when you did this? If not you might have jacked the seal up like I did the 1st time. It might be the cover seal, not sure on that one.

twisted

#5 Post by twisted »

Had the same exact problem,. used new gaskets and LOTS of silicone to fix it. Took me 1 month to fix it.

jshort

#6 Post by jshort »

Guys,
Tell me I don't have to pull my motor again! I just got it back in. I replaced the valve cover with a new aluminum one. While I was doing this I also replaced the seal behind the impellar. I put the open end of the seal out like it says in the manual. How would it be leaking? Between the seal and the impellar shaft or between the seal and the housing? Can the seal be removed without removing the valve cover?

Jason

Canniboomer

#7 Post by Canniboomer »

....arrrrgh, bummer. Since the seal is new, it's probably more likely to leak somewhere on the perimeter. Short of pulling the motor you could at least "try" pulling the impeller cover and impeller, then loosening the rightside camcover bolts and massaging that seal with a rubdown of graybond into the seams. Or maybe even a doper's syringe would help to inject the silicone in there.

Exodus

#8 Post by Exodus »

Yeah if its leaking from the cover the impellar gasket should be ok. The impellar cover gasket would be the prob. I would try to take the bolts loose on the cover and use some 1211 silicone to seal up that wheep hole. DONT add antifreeze for 24hrs, let it set and cure before you add fluid. Another trick is to add the silicone, torque the bolts, then heat the cover a little with a blowdryer, that will make the cover expand slightly and create a slightly tighter seal. After the 24 hrs, and the cover is cool, retorque your bolts, they should be slightly loose, 1 ft lb or so, from the movement of the aluminum. Best of luck to you, some of the sealing joints on these motors are a real pain.

cannondale27

#9 Post by cannondale27 »

Guys it is important to note what seal you have.There was one with a raised rib and one smooth.I dont remember which head has which but if the head has a groove where seal goes you need a seal with raised lip.If not you need a smooth one.You should be able to loosen valvecover up enough to get it out.No Need to pull motor.