Help with a leak?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
jshort

Help with a leak?

#1 Post by jshort »

I developed an antifreeze leak after replacing my valve cover with a new aluminum one. Its leaking from the wheep hole. I replace all the seals and also the round one on the impellar shaft. I could never get it to stop so I re-ordered new seals and I am going to start over.

My questions:
What seals and where should I use grey sealant or should I install the seal with no sealant. I really think my leak was between the impellar shaft and the seal lip. The impellar shaft had some corrosion on it from the old valve cover. I tried to get it all off but may have missed some. Could this cause it to leak between the shaft and the seal.

Thanks for any help!
Jason

cdrider02

#2 Post by cdrider02 »

I just put the pump back together on a C440 that had the same white deposits on the shaft I used a fine bristle stainless steel brush to clean the shaft. I have had trouble sealing these covers also, apply sealant only in the areas shown by the manual ( the only exception I make to this is that I put a small amount in the corners where the head, seals, and valve cover meet ), make absolutely sure that the valve cover and head are properly aligned, and allow the sealant plenty of time to cure before adding coolant. I know it seems like the only thing that would make a leak come out of the weep hole is the seal, but, I tried applying sealant to the whole cover gasket like the factory did (sparingly) but all it did was create hydraulic pressure in the groove in the cover and force the end of the gasket out into the water pump cavity and cut it. I tried this twice because that was the way they did it and it worked for them, but every time since then I have followed the manual and have not had that problem.Most recently I was in a hurry to get one running so I put coolant in it right away and started it only to have the pressure from inside the cooling system push the sealant out of the tiny groove created where the valve cover, head, pump cover, and rubber end of the valve cover gasket all meet just ahead of the impeller. Anyway this is what I have experienced and what has worked sorry for the long post just trying to help out, good luck.