Cannondale Problem...Newbie in UK

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Del Boy

Cannondale Problem...Newbie in UK

#1 Post by Del Boy »

Hi ya you guys..Cannondale 440 Speed 03..This is my first Quad Bought it as a none runner, ..Any any help here would be appreciated. First we found the fuel pump was not working, previous owner had been cranking it over alot thinking it was flooded etc...so jump leads new battery etc had been on it (we think they spiked the ecu so replaced it) fuel pump works now and bike runs well stood still, blip the throttle and she revs but try it on the road (oh yeah road registered) and dies spits picks back up then runs well then spits etc again...cuts out aswell but will start back up fairly easy...Anyone have any thoughts, i have ordered a throttle position sensor to try, at $26 not worth not trying really. Been messing about for a few weeks trying to find parts but now i found this place hope we all can sort it out. Also it sounds rattle'y on tickover is that the norm(cam gears perhaps)....? I had a Husaberg 650 before that used to sound mechanical and went fast then bang...Doh..End up calling it a Hassleberg...The roads are wet and greasy here at the moment and this quad would be so much fun on them it's an awful shame to not be playing on it.....Thanks in Advance

cannondale27

#2 Post by cannondale27 »

Checked all the quick disconnect fuel fittings for good flow?If you look into the tank there is a return line you should see fuel going back into the tank at a nice steady stream.Also put a new fuel filter on.When new the fuel will flow right through filter.Not build up in it very much at all.If level seen in filter fluctuates the disconnects are suspect.Another easy thing to check is the flywheel.Take off small round plastic cover remove the flywheel nut and the keyway should line up with C in Cannondale on the flywheel.Do you have a D&M?Throttle Cal should also be done.If you remove the TPS sensor it will have to be done.

Canniboomer

#3 Post by Canniboomer »

Good advice, yep check those fuel fittings first. It sounds like you may need a new set (new females, and new or gutted males) and maybe a ground bootie for the fuel pump (to protect ECU from accidental grounding of negative post against frame). We can fix you up quickly, easy, before messing with the TPS without a D&M kit. pacrimdm@msn.com

haydug

#4 Post by haydug »

Glad to see you found us! :welcome:

As stated in my email, before shipping you innessasary parts, we'' all chip in and fix your problems.

Del Boy

#5 Post by Del Boy »

How do we calibrate the tps,not got a D&M i assume thats a diagnostic and Maintainence tool, We have checked fuel return and all seems fine...?

Canniboomer

#6 Post by Canniboomer »

Throttle cal procedure requires the D&M kit.
It is still very likely the fuel fittings, just not delivering enough to the pump when you crack open the throttle, and you get a sudden drop in fuel pressure = stalling. But it starts back up from built in suction of the intake line still pulling some fuel while it's stalled -- so then it starts again, only to starve out when you nail it..... and the cycle repeats, very common. You can test by drawing fuel straight from a can and through a fresh filter, and then blipping/holding the throttle open for a couple of seconds.

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

Thats a good test Canniboomer:clap: Simple

Del Boy

#8 Post by Del Boy »

I shall try that test first then, will be monday now...Cheers

fig

#9 Post by fig »

That works for testing the feed side, if your quick disconnect is not flowing on the return side you would still have the problem.

If you remove the quick disconnect on the return side and let the gas return to the same of different can so you can see if you get a good return flow.

Canniboomer

#10 Post by Canniboomer »

Any progress? I sent a PM asking about your tank setup, etc, but not yet read. Hopefully you're out riding!