Acceptable coolant

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
Canniboomer

#11 Post by Canniboomer »

... sounds like a big opportunity for somebody! How elaborate is that cover? Any pics avail? Suzuki might be already changing the original molds to Aluminum -- or they will after bad press in DirtWheels!

Hey Doug, are you a Suzuki dealer yet?

flynbryan19

#12 Post by flynbryan19 »

Well, the 03-04 covers were aluminum. In 05' they switched over to the magnesium, and now.......enter our current problem. I've looked at pretty much every post in ya'lls archives and apparently there is some mixed opinions, but it seems that evans does solve the problem, and the jury is out as to wether de-ionized water coolants do or not. Many said yes, and many said no, but BOTH sides felt very strongly about their opinions. biggrin.gif

61austin

#13 Post by 61austin »

This corrosion is by electrolysis which requires a small amount of electric current flow. De-ionized water is extremely pure water so it doesn't conduct electricity and therefore it stops the corrosion, but once impurities begin to build up in the water conductivity increases and the corrosion begins again. So useing coolants with a de-ionized water base will stop the corrosion but they must be changed often and flushed well.

kdeal

#14 Post by kdeal »

^^^^^^What he said^^^^^^^^^^

:clap:

One problem though..ANY water conducts electricity. I will be willing to show you that theory. Just find Derno and give me some jumper cables and a bottle of deionized water. The purity of the water and the deionization are the keys. But it doesn't last, change it often.

Canniboomer

#15 Post by Canniboomer »

...just do the minimum required to qualify for the warranty, and even let it rot!...then be sure to have it fixed later -- on Suzuki's tab!biggrin.gif

Happyboy

#16 Post by Happyboy »

The arguement over the deionized water simply has to do with education. What 61austin said is 100% correct. It does stop it temporarily but impurities are sure to show up yielding a slowing of corrosion, but not a cure. Only sure fire way is to get away from a water based coolant.

flynbryan19

#17 Post by flynbryan19 »

Well, my tech I've been working with told me that he flushed the system out twice, but I have yet to ask him if he used tap water, or de-ionized water...... I'm willing to bet he used the first. So, when I get it back I'm going to flush it again with de-ionized coolant and be checking it again in three months. I've got a 6 month warranty from the factory, and you can bet I'll be checking it again when 5 months comes around. If its back again, it'll be going to them and I'll fight harder to get the aluminum cases. I'm gonna let it ride right now.....

Thanks to all of you for your experience its greatly appreciated. Feel free to continue if you wish. wink.gif

jacobw

#18 Post by jacobw »

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jacobw
[B]ahh kdeal you are wrong on this one pure water hygrogen and oxygen will not conduct any electricity at all. reason I know we did a experiment in college that de-mineralized water will not conduct electricity, its all the minerals in water that conduct the electricity tap water yes will conduct hence the minerals not filtered out of the water!smile.gif Try it!!! That is the reason people get shocked if they drop the hair dryer in the tub etc etc. Pure water is a insulator not a conductor its a stable fluid and will not conduct any electricity!!tongue.gif Water has the same number or protons and nuetrons and will does not have an extra one to take on the positive or negative charge.

CptHook

#19 Post by CptHook »

Originally posted by flynbryan19
Well, my tech I've been working with told me that he flushed the system out twice, but I have yet to ask him if he used tap water, or de-ionized water......  I'm willing to bet he used the first.  So, when I get it back I'm going to flush it again with de-ionized coolant and be checking it again in three months.  I've got a 6 month warranty from the factory, and you can bet I'll be checking it again when 5 months comes around.  If its back again, it'll be going to them and I'll fight harder to get the aluminum cases.  I'm gonna let it ride right now.....

Thanks to all of you for your experience its greatly appreciated.  Feel free to continue if you wish. wink.gif

Im willing to bet if you raise a big enough stink you can get them to install an aluminum side cover from an 04 for free, and be done with the whole issue. Im sure since they switched over they have to have a bunch of aluminum side covers lying around. I know that's what I'd do, dont let these companies give you the screwgie because they could honestly give a **** about you. Get to work!

flynbryan19

#20 Post by flynbryan19 »

Trust me, I'll be breaking it down before my warranty runs out and if its corroded AGAIN they'll be putting an aluminum cover back on it.:mad: I'll play their game for now, but if it gets corroded again I'm gettin' nasty. biggrin.gif