odd color side cover

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
JST

odd color side cover

#1 Post by JST »

a friend of mine just purchased a fx400 with a odd color side cover (magnesium??).It looks factory with a high gloss,we know its not the color of the metal because of a small chip.Does anyone else have this also?

Ryanstones

#2 Post by Ryanstones »

All the first generation motors had a gold/bronze painted side cover. Don't use a pressure washer or that paint will come off. I've had 2 motors that color. that engine also has aluminum valve cover, no corrosion, and a higher compression piston it is believed.

um, glutton? maybe. biggrin.gif

JST

#3 Post by JST »

Ryanstones,I also have a very early gen 1 motor but it does not have the gold/bronze color cover just aluminum.So with the early valve cover the corrosion you mentioned,where is the corrosion or do i nnot have to worry about it?

definate glutant for punishment!

Ryanstones

#4 Post by Ryanstones »

I guess i shouldn't have said ALL, cause i don't know that for sure. But i do think so. Are you talking about clutch cover or left side engine case? That gold paint (not powdercoat) came off real easy, with aluminum? underneath that polishes easy but tarnishes quick.
Talking about waterpump-impeller corrosion on the valve cover itself. It's not an issue with the aluminum v/c.

ryanstones= definite glutton for cannondale punishment:rolleyes:

glutant=mutant glutton LMAO!!biggrin.gif

Ryanstones

#5 Post by Ryanstones »

hard to tell the color..

JST

#6 Post by JST »

ok,so i'm illeterate,heck i probably spelled that wrong too,my vin last digits are 077.I was just curios if I had to look for corrosion.By the way left side.