Sleeve drill dot?

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
ronnoc47

Sleeve drill dot?

#1 Post by ronnoc47 »

I have a new cylinder sleeve and was wondering what is considered to be drilled too deep. My stock sleeve is drilled shallow, just about the taper of the bit deep. The new one looks to be about .100" deep. I don't want to use it if there could be a problem.

Next Question.

My stock sleeve just has some very light wear marks. No gouges or anything. You can still see most of the original hone crosshatch. Is it possible to lightly hone the stocker and reuse it?

cannondale440

#2 Post by cannondale440 »

If the sleeve is like new then I dont see why you couldn't. Just be sure to replace the seals on it, they are very important. On a side note thinking about it, be sure to check the bore for warpage and not just groves/scratches.

BigJosh

#3 Post by BigJosh »

I would ask around I heard that some crack if drilled to deep....Farra I think told me....Just an FYI

ronnoc47

#4 Post by ronnoc47 »

Thanks C440 & BigJosh.
Thats what I'm worried about. Is it going to crack? I need to find out what is too deep. I tried a search but couldn't find anything on what is considered too deep and possibly crack. If it's no good I'll have to try to use the stock sleeve.

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

Measure up the stock sleeve and your piston and if good reuse it.That dimple is too deep.

HouserCannondale

#6 Post by HouserCannondale »

You might want to check into actually using a hone with a stone on that sleeve, I heard from somewhere that it damages the nikasil coating, not sure though. I am sure that is safe to use a ball hone/deglazer on the sleeve though. Just a bit of info. smile.gif

ronnoc47

#7 Post by ronnoc47 »

Thanks for the info!
I'll probably try a ball hone just to break the glaze a little.

So is my new sleeve junk since the dot is too deep or can it be repaired somehow? :cry:

wistech

#8 Post by wistech »

Well if your a gambling man you could fill the hole with an epoxy and try it. The worst that could happen is it could leak and you would have the rip it all down again. If thats not a problem then go for it. Id say chances are 80% that it will work . But if you get one of the 20% then it will suck.sad.gif

I have no problem honing out a used cyllinder with fine ball hone just a little bit. The nicasil is very thin so just a couple spins is all you need.

ronnoc47

#9 Post by ronnoc47 »

I don't quite understand what happens when the drill dot is too deep. Does the sleeve crack all the way through to the inside or does it just crack to where the O ring seal is?

Exodus

#10 Post by Exodus »

crack bad