Stator

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
harleypitbull1

Stator

#1 Post by harleypitbull1 »

The battery on the quad with the 468 is going down. You can charge it with a battery charger and it will start fine. Ride it for five minutes and it will still start itself. But after about twenty minutes the battery is dead again. I was wondering which wires or how to check to see if the stator is charging properly. To determine if it needs a stator or a battery. Can anyone help?

Happyboy

#2 Post by Happyboy »

Here yah go.... http://www.cannondaleriders.com/vbb/showth...tor+AND+testing

Someone should make that a sticky.

Derno24

#3 Post by Derno24 »

Just don't count out that it could be the regulator though.

harleypitbull1

#4 Post by harleypitbull1 »

What should the battery read on the d & m when you are veiwing it with the quad running? We checked it and it only showed like 11.8 volts. I thought it should show more, like the alternator on a truck. We rode them today and it acted up again. Starts fine for half the day and the next time you turn it off, the battery is completely dead and wont even turn over.

Canniboomer

#5 Post by Canniboomer »

Yep, it should show up around 14 or more. You might want to pull the flywheel and check the stator shielding for wires grounding out against the case or themselves.

harleypitbull1

#6 Post by harleypitbull1 »

Thanks Dave, This is Jeremy by the way. I will let him know. Do you happen to have any stators if that is the problem? Anything else it could be?

Canniboomer

#7 Post by Canniboomer »

You have some '02's right? It's a good bet that those 3 yellows are pinched under the case clip behind stator. I had one where the wires were compressed and kind of melted into one at the clip, and shorting out. If you can cleanly separate the wires and shield them and pad the clip, then it should be fine.

If Tim re-installed the stator, you should be OK though. But note it is possible to rebuild these motors without pulling that stator. You can also replace that seal without pulling the stator, so it may have been overlooked.

You can check for loose cables.

You can also check voltage with motor off, and again while running, from a battery positive to the frame. You should verify a jump of about 3 volts when running/revved, and you would see it vary per rpm. That would mean you have charging voltage. Yes I have a stator if needed. Good luck.