468 battery dies again

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
harleypitbull1

468 battery dies again

#1 Post by harleypitbull1 »

Well, last week the battery went dead and with your guys help, we checked and the stator was not charging. The wires behind the stator were chaffed and it was not charging. We repaired the wires, hooked it up to the d and m kit and the battery was showing 13.8 while running. So that means it was charging, right? wrong, it died again today. Starts fine for two or three hours. Ride awhile and stop, next time you try to start it, battery dead as a door nail. Anymore suggestions guys, I am lost again.
Brand new battery, by the way, we just replaced it.

speed2424

#2 Post by speed2424 »

Could the problem be in the voltage rectifier?:confused:

Derno24

#3 Post by Derno24 »

In the EFI manual which you can download from this site in the faq section it has tests for this. Sounds like the stator may still be bad. Just because you get a reading on the D&M doesn't mean it is properly charging. It is either the Stator or the Retifier.

harleypitbull1

#4 Post by harleypitbull1 »

What exactly does the rectifier do? Is that the thing on the frame under the front of the quad? Sorry guys, I know a little about these things, but I know alot more now than I knew a few months ago.

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

Yes under front.Its the regulator/rectifier changes the cuurent from ACto DC and keeps your stator from overcharging.Like said there are tests in FAQ section that Jaybr wrote up or EFI manual.
13.8 is a bit low was that while motor was revved?Have you load tested the battery?Should hold about 10volts while cranking the motor.

harleypitbull1

#6 Post by harleypitbull1 »

We have not load tested the battery. The 13.8 volts is not while revving, it was at idle.

cannondale27

#7 Post by cannondale27 »

That would be really good at idle.I would definitly load test that battery.Sometimes when there is a charging problem like you found with the stator wires it can ruin the battery.I have sometimes brought fryed batteries back to life by trickle charging them for like a month.I think it corrects plates that are corroded or something but is always worth a shot if the battery fails load test.

jwheat

#8 Post by jwheat »

Originally posted by cannondale27
That would be really good at idle.I would definitly load test that battery.Sometimes when there is a charging problem like you found with the stator wires it can ruin the battery.I have sometimes brought fryed batteries back to life by trickle charging them for like a month.I think it corrects plates that are corroded or something but is always worth a shot if the battery fails load test.

What probably happened was that the plates were sulfated (white coating) and the long slow charge eventually broke down the sulfate build-up. Sulfate build-up creates resistance and the plates don't get charged. Sulfate build-up only happens while a battery is discharged.

If you have a battery that has been sitting up for a few months and it doesn't want to take a charge, put a small amount of epson salt in each cell and charge the battery. That will help break down the build-up on the plates and allow them to charge.

cannondale27

#9 Post by cannondale27 »

Nice tip Jwheat!Never heard of that before but will give it a shot next time.