fan not running

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
chigger81

fan not running

#1 Post by chigger81 »

I read a thread about our cooling fans on the forums and thought for a moment... Mine has never run. So I rode it kinda hard today and came back to check it. Still not running. Im using the 1000 harness and ecu. What would be an accurate test to tell if its the sensor/ecu or the fan? Can I get the motor up to temp and check the power source with a multimeter to see if its hot?

Happyboy

#2 Post by Happyboy »

Alex, did you stop that quad to see if it was running? On some of the harnesses if you turn off the qaud it will turn the fan off. After you get done riding really hard you can shut the quad down and then turn the key back on and click the start button just for a sec to turn it back on. The fan should run then.

speed 450mx

#3 Post by speed 450mx »

Do you have a D&M? If you do they hook it up and the fan should turn on about 180.

chigger81

#4 Post by chigger81 »

no d&m. The fan doesnt even run when the quads running. I can see the blade sitting idle in there. I havent noticed that its gotten really hot yet, but im pretty sure it was warmer than 180.

cannondale27

#5 Post by cannondale27 »

If you can get it on a D&M you can check the coolant temp sensor or you can use a OHM meter and a thermometer to check it.To check fan first spin the blade to make sure it isnt jammed then disconnect the plug for fan and using jumper wires or even a battery charger power it up and see if it works.If all that is good check/clean connections,check wiring and last most unlikely thing is either a HEX code change(the bikes dont have a fan so a hex might be out there without fan) or ECU has blown fan driver like they blow the fuel pump driver.(very unlikely)

Happyboy

#6 Post by Happyboy »

my fan doesn't normally run if the quad is running this time of year. I can abuse it and then when i shut it down the temp will spike and cause the fan to trigger.

badvox

#7 Post by badvox »

I agree with Happy here. Even here in So Cal I would shut it down then like 30 secs later the fan would come on and scare
everyone. he he he

Last weekend when changed my oil though it was around 85 degrees here. When I did my startup and let it run I did notice that it came on after sitting for a couple minutes.

kdeal

#8 Post by kdeal »

If you start the bike up and let it idle for about 5-8 minutes it will get hot enough for the fan to come on. The temp is around 170 degrees but is actually in Celcius what ever is close to 170 F. If your bike is running rich it will take longer to warm up.

twisted

#9 Post by twisted »

My fan sensor fried on mine and I put a toggle switch for it by splicing the wires, now I turn it on when I ride hard.

chigger81

#10 Post by chigger81 »

Hopefully I will have some time to play with it tomorrow and ill see at least if the fans bad or not. Thanks! biggrin.gif