Does this look Ported and Polished???

Engine, intake, exhaust, EFI, chain, sprockets, etc.
wistech

#31 Post by wistech »

I must say Sandstorms head was one of the most proffesional looking dale head Ive seen. Very nice work. Better looking than mine will ever be. I dare not ask how much that cost.
Depending on how well they were able to fix injector bungs Ill bet that engine has the potential to break 50 and run WAY better than before.
I cant hardly wait to run up against it.

timbomoose

#32 Post by timbomoose »

OK getting back on track with Smitty's question. If you compare the Porting side by sid by going off the exaust port itself with a DAB head. as you can see the ports at this piont are the same porting a little rougher then polished but they are going to flow the same.

I disagree, put them both on a flow bench and dabs will outflow.Dab went with the extra time consuming detail that gives the extra edge.He spent the time to polish the port and taper the valve guide. Doing the extra detail that is time consuming gives you that extra edge.Sandstorm Dab did a very nice port job and it is always good to support the locals.This is not saying that cwr is doing bad work just dab is also doing the extra detail that will give you the edge.

wistech

#33 Post by wistech »

Derno is right about the power . Cdale55 is crushing the competion with a skill ,a well setup chassis ,and the engine was close but could not break 50 . Yet he gets every holeshot. Hes going up against the biggest and best from the Jap crowd. crf450's and 520r's. They just dont know what hit them.
Ive tried to drive the 55 horse quad on the trails. Its downright difficult and tiring.Same with the 505 's. Of course it was built for wide open drag racing where we have proven it is very good at.

Smitty911

It was just a question.

#34 Post by Smitty911 »

All,

I want to clear the air. I am not questioning Dougs ability to make HP or a reliable motor. I am confident in his ability or I wouldn't have sent it to him. I have faith that if something goes wrong he will make it right. He is sending out the radiator and shifter to make that part right.

I had a question based on other head work I have seen pictures of. They differed from mine, so I asked. It's my nature. I was expecting for the ultimate motor and the associated cost that there would be a substaintal amount of head work done. I may have been wrong in my expectations.

Doug,

Thank you for the extra work you did to put the motor back in.

If you say go ride the thing and don't worry, I'll go ride the thing and not worry. You know the parts you put in there and if you stand by them, so help me God, I'll do it. IF you have any concern about the Springs, Valves, Cams that are currently in there, lets save some time and money and change them before a critical failure.

What does a butchered job look like????

Smitty

cannondale27

#35 Post by cannondale27 »

Chassis setup,gearing,tires,Rider ability and even rider wieght are just as big of a factor in winning a drag than horsepower.So knowing that all those factors will never be the same the only way to judge progress on making HP AND Torque gains is to go to the dyno.Or keep making changes till you consistently beat someone you consistently lost to.Will see you guys on your dyno soon.
I can honestly say that the more power I get happier I am.I sure dont want someone telling me that I have too much already.These machines only go as fast as you twist or push the throttle.Crashes and bad publicity are human problems not the machines.Just last sunday I was in fifth on a TT circuit on ice pinned.Could easily have used more than YFZ had.Was wishing whole time the Dale was done!

Happyboy

#36 Post by Happyboy »

Originally posted by ******
now go sit down and try to find ways to say bad things about other people doing different then the "R&D team". The third site seems to be a place to vent unless you don't agree with certain people. I heard you fit right in there .

Very nice. And who is saying bad things about other people? All this is is a discussion on porting now. Has nothing to do with Tim or others. Glad to see you are rising above all this.

And yeah, I am all over the "other site"... tongue.gif

Happyboy

#37 Post by Happyboy »

Originally posted by cannondale27
Chassis setup,gearing,tires,Rider ability and even rider wieght are just as big of a factor in winning a drag than horsepower.

Thats all that matters. You race on a stock cannondale and whoop my butt.

Delaware152

#38 Post by Delaware152 »

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cannondale27
[B]Chassis setup,gearing,tires,Rider ability and even rider wieght are just as big of a factor in winning a drag than horsepower.

I agree with you to an extent. Although it is funny when people are more worried about spending money and time on "horsepower" instead of getting the proper chassis setup, gearing, tires and learing how to ride. Also you can take two motors that are identical and one of them will perform better than the other. I agree with ****** the only purpose of a dyno can be for testing purposes. How many races do they have on a dyno?

haydug

#39 Post by haydug »

Funny thing about port work, and engine builders. I had always worked with FDO, and he knew I liked my engine to pull long and hard, with a smooth power curve. At one of the group rides, I let Wanablaze ride it. I think he was alittle disapointed at first. If I remember correctly he said: "Well, I expected more out of one of your motors. It just doesnt' feel fast".
With that very same bike, very same day, it went undefeated on the mx course, and I believe undefeated in the drag race.
As I have stated before, an un-ridable "hit" does nothing for you in a racing envirement. You simply either spin, or wheelie, both which cause you to let off the gas and straighten out. Maybe on a drag bike with longer swingarm and a good rider with perfect tire selection that is nice, however on an MX track, with various conditions, I do not want that. I want to go fast.

Now, when CWR first started porting for me, he looked at one of my FDO heads, matter of fact he had to fix quite a few of them when FDO had troubles and closed the doors. I feel he made a nice smooth power curve, which is what I was after.

Tim: I do agree that DAB's head will outflow the CWR head, however I don't think that maximum head flow is what the goal was.

I am now going to sit back and watch all of this, as it is pretty funny. We all know that Timbo does some excellent work. We now see that a place called DAB does some excellent work. Yet, you come to queastion CWR on a couple of pictures, when results should count for something. As Derno about a straight-away with the great John Natalie??
Point here fellows: Different builders do different things, who is to say that each is the correct way?

cannondale27

#40 Post by cannondale27 »

All I am saying is the Dales had it easy holeshot wise before the 450r's and YFZ's came out.Fact is that if you run a stock dale you will not have that guarantee anymore.The extra power does make holeshots much easier.
I was invited to the dyno by Derno a long time ago.Explain to me how anyone can discuss porting and hp without a dyno?